Pipd's Peeps!

It's been a tough few days here. My old man, Roscoe, has passed on.

Roscoe was one of my very first silkied Cochin bantams. I drove all the way to Chicago to pick up a trio of them back in 2016, and the person selling them had so many cockerels left after the birds I bought that she was giving them away, so I went ahead and got a second cockerel from her. That second cockerel was my Roscoe.

What a mug he had, what a tough-guy exterior. Yet he was such a well-mannered rooster with hens, and the sweetest and most gentle rooster I'd ever seen around chicks and juveniles, whether they were his own offspring or completely unrelated. Other roosters I've had over the years would avoid the chicks or stare at them as if horrified. But Roscoe, he would sit with them, he would happily show them to the food and water to help them get acquainted with their surroundings when first moving outside, and he was so patient with them, letting them poke and prod at his face while only gently objecting if they got a bit too rough with their pecks.

View attachment 3804824

Peeking his head through the fence to interact with the hatchery-bought chicks back in 2021

View attachment 3804830View attachment 3804822

I had wanted to fully integrate him into the mixed flock, but he and Winter just wouldn't get along, and they'd fight and fight until Roscoe was practically blue in the face and gasping for air if I let them. That probably was an early sign of what was to come, unfortunately. For a while now, I think I mentioned a few pages back, his heart seemed to be outright failing. A few days ago on a nice, sunny, warm day, I took him out into the yard in a little pen I have set up out there for various purposes and let him get some sunshine, and he couldn't even make the short walk back to the coop that evening. I kinda knew he was fading over the past two days, so I'd been doing my best to make him as comfortable as possible until we were able to make end of life preparations for him. However, he passed on in his sleep last night, thankfully looking fairly peaceful at least. I'm sure gonna miss the old man.

View attachment 3804831

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like an amazing bird, one that was very very dear to you. May he live on through his offspring, and your memories :hugs

I'm so sorry for your loss, what a special guy :hugs thanks for sharing his story and photos with us ❤
I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like an amazing bird, one that was very very dear to you. May he live on through his offspring, and your memories :hugs

Thank you both :hugs He was a tough one to see go, but I still have his daughters and granddaughters in the mixed flock to keep his memory alive. I'm thinking I might hatch from some of them alongside the Gwenyth eggs I set later in the summer.

More Judy booties on the way!!!!! :celebrate

The ones in the incubator now are potential Judy booties! The ones going in this Sunday will actually be Judy's nieces and nephews, though, fathered by her brother, Buck. 🥰

The first order of blue columbian brahma arrived! Because she didn't have enough of the blues to send extra she sent me six dark brahma eggs too.

View attachment 3805058

Now to let them rest for a few days before adding them to the 56ex.

Exciting!! :pop Too bad about not having more Blue Columbians, but Dark Brahmas are super pretty as well! Are they buff blue Columbian or silver blue Columbian?

Thank you both :hugs He was a tough one to see go, but I still have his daughters and granddaughters in the mixed flock to keep his memory alive. I'm thinking I might hatch from some of them alongside the Gwenyth eggs I set later in the summer.

The ones in the incubator now are potential Judy booties! The ones going in this Sunday will actually be Judy's nieces and nephews, though, fathered by her brother, Buck. 🥰

Exciting!! :pop Too bad about not having more Blue Columbians, but Dark Brahmas are super pretty as well! Are they buff blue Columbian or silver blue Columbian?
Silver blue. If I found the buff blue for the price I got these oh I would have both. The ones I got tho are still in a project state. I'm OK with it they are for a friends layer flock that I'm keeping at my place till they have their place set up how they want it.

So THATS why I thought Buck was so good looking :celebrate

Great plan on the Roscoe line eggies, that will be another special hatch!

Back
Top Bottom