Pit Bulls as farm dogs??

Hey everyone!
So we were visiting our local shelter the other day and they had around 15 dogs, mostly adult dogs, and they were big dogs too, lots of Pits. They were all in excellent condition and we could tell the people running the shelter really tried their best to take care of them. I have wanted a Pit Bull for as long as I can remember. I think they are amazing dogs despite the lies everyone stains their reputation with. I have a few chickens and a few ducks and I am planning to get a horse soon. We also have two cats and a dog. Has anyone had any success with a Pit as a farm dog? I read they used to be nanny dogs on farms and have read many stories of them getting along perfectly with farm animals. But most of the Pits they had at the shelter are adults so training may be more difficult. Has anyone trained a Pit to be a farm dog before? If so, any tips and tricks or advice would be greatly appreciated!
I got a pit and a pit boxer mix from a shelter and they are both great farm dogs.The boxer pit mix will usually alert me if somwthing is messing with the chickens or pigs and the pit usually just sits and watches everything.They dont really care about the pigs or chickens but that depends on the individual dog.Try to ask the people at the shelter if the dogs habe shown and predatory instincts towards small animals or what they know about the dogs history.

Hey everyone!
So we were visiting our local shelter the other day and they had around 15 dogs, mostly adult dogs, and they were big dogs too, lots of Pits. They were all in excellent condition and we could tell the people running the shelter really tried their best to take care of them. I have wanted a Pit Bull for as long as I can remember. I think they are amazing dogs despite the lies everyone stains their reputation with. I have a few chickens and a few ducks and I am planning to get a horse soon. We also have two cats and a dog. Has anyone had any success with a Pit as a farm dog? I read they used to be nanny dogs on farms and have read many stories of them getting along perfectly with farm animals. But most of the Pits they had at the shelter are adults so training may be more difficult. Has anyone trained a Pit to be a farm dog before? If so, any tips and tricks or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Also pittbulls will usually copy your energy, for example if you are very relaxed or lazy they will follow suit.They are also a pretty needy anxious breed.My HAVE to touch somebody when they sleep, its hillarious to see a big 60 lb pit squeeze in between people for a nap on the couch.

Given that they're the dog most likely to kill humans, by about a factor of ten, I don't think these are necessarily lies. As with game roosters, I'm sure that there are good and bad examples.
Most likely to kill humans because of the human. Not because of the breed! Humans are the bad ones in the picture of pitbulls, period!

Most likely to kill humans because of the human. Not because of the breed! Humans are the bad ones in the picture of pitbulls, period!
I disagree, for two reasons:

Most dog attacks are against children.
Most dog attacks are by family dogs.

I expect any dog to tolerate what a child does to him, or to get up and walk away. Dogs should view children of the family as they would puppies of the pack. They've been raised to view humans as kin for longer than recorded history. A dog that doesn't do that has something seriously wrong with it.

Insanity in humans has a genetic component. I expect dogs are the same. I won't say all pitbulls are bad dogs. I simply believe that there is a tendency towards instability that sometimes manifests.

I disagree, for two reasons:

Most dog attacks are against children.
Most dog attacks are by family dogs.

I expect any dog to tolerate what a child does to him, or to get up and walk away. Dogs should view children of the family as they would puppies of the pack. They've been raised to view humans as kin for longer than recorded history. A dog that doesn't do that has something seriously wrong with it.

Insanity in humans has a genetic component. I expect dogs are the same. I won't say all pitbulls are bad dogs. I simply believe that there is a tendency towards instability that sometimes manifests.
We will have to agree to disagree on the Pitbull issue
However, I will say though a dog absolutely should not have too tolerate anything a child does to it. The child needs to know and be taught how to treat a dog or any animal. Babies on up should not be able to do anything they want to an animal. That's bad parenting and dog/animal ownership! Also possible animal abuse.

Last edited:
We will have to agree to disagree on the Pitbull issue
However, I will say though a dog absolutely should not have too tolerate anything a child does to it. The child needs to know and be taught how to treat a dog or any animal. Babies on up should not be able to do anything they want to an animal. That's bad parenting and dog/animal ownership!
I wouldn't kill a puppy that bit me. Punish, yes. Kill, no. And I would be seriously leery of anyone who would.

Back
Top Bottom