Pit Bulls as farm dogs??

ChickyMama229

Chirping
Jul 1, 2017
Hey everyone!
So we were visiting our local shelter the other day and they had around 15 dogs, mostly adult dogs, and they were big dogs too, lots of Pits. They were all in excellent condition and we could tell the people running the shelter really tried their best to take care of them. I have wanted a Pit Bull for as long as I can remember. I think they are amazing dogs despite the lies everyone stains their reputation with. I have a few chickens and a few ducks and I am planning to get a horse soon. We also have two cats and a dog. Has anyone had any success with a Pit as a farm dog? I read they used to be nanny dogs on farms and have read many stories of them getting along perfectly with farm animals. But most of the Pits they had at the shelter are adults so training may be more difficult. Has anyone trained a Pit to be a farm dog before? If so, any tips and tricks or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Depends solely on the dogs personality. I recommend trying to watch for a puppy, or getting an older dog that is known to be good with other animals. The shelter staff should have an idea which dog would do better with other critters.

My pit/doberman has a strong prey drive towards birds. He will climb trees to pluck birds out of the branches. (Yes, he climbs trees....) I do not trust him with my chickens. He has brought home duck carcasses when he got out before. Had I gotten him as a small puppy, I believe I might have been able to train him to leave them alone. We trained out his other bad habits with other animals, and he's got a wonderful gentle temperament otherwise. He's great with babies, kids, cats, dogs of all sizes, just not birds.

I have a pit bull, he is a wonderful family dog and protector. However, not so great with my chickens. I let him out in the dog yard not knowing a chicken was hiding under the deck. He didn't kill her, but he hurt her (tore her vent :(). Had I not been there he would have killed her. Like @GirlsMommy18 said, it really depends on the dog. Go for a puppy or ask specifically for dogs that are known to be good with other animals. Good luck to you!!:thumbsup

Depends solely on the dogs personality. I recommend trying to watch for a puppy, or getting an older dog that is known to be good with other animals. The shelter staff should have an idea which dog would do better with other critters.

My pit/doberman has a strong prey drive towards birds. He will climb trees to pluck birds out of the branches. (Yes, he climbs trees....) I do not trust him with my chickens. He has brought home duck carcasses when he got out before. Had I gotten him as a small puppy, I believe I might have been able to train him to leave them alone. We trained out his other bad habits with other animals, and he's got a wonderful gentle temperament otherwise. He's great with babies, kids, cats, dogs of all sizes, just not birds.
I never thought of asking the shelter staff lol, but I will do that, it's a great idea! Wow! Some pup ya got there!

My Pit Bull is the sweetest dog ever. She's real good with dogs and horses. There are way too many Pits in the shelters waiting for a good home. I wouldn't trust one right off the bat with your chickens of course, just like any breed of dog.
That's true, I would introduce him slowly and train him of course. Good thing is that it's a no kill shelter, so they really know the dogs there.

I have a pit bull, he is a wonderful family dog and protector. However, not so great with my chickens. I let him out in the dog yard not knowing a chicken was hiding under the deck. He didn't kill her, but he hurt her (tore her vent :(). Had I not been there he would have killed her. Like @GirlsMommy18 said, it really depends on the dog. Go for a puppy or ask specifically for dogs that are known to be good with other animals. Good luck to you!!:thumbsup
Thank you!!!

I never thought of asking the shelter staff lol, but I will do that, it's a great idea! Wow! Some pup ya got there!

He certainly keeps us on our toes.

With it being a no kill shelter, the staff should have a pretty good idea who could best suit your home. Heck, they may even have a farm dog if you're very lucky. You'll never know unless you ask. Good luck!

Any dog can live any place and get along with anything if you train it right and take precautions. There will always be something that will make the best trained dog wonder a bit from its training If you dont want your dog to chase your animals then you dont let it chase anything. You catch him at the slightest move or look he has of a chase. It can be done but without knowing the past of a dog your better off doing the training but always have a fence or you between the dog and the other animals.
Starting with a puppy would be very easy but the rescue of a Pit would be fabulous.

Some shelters specifically test to see how dogs react to small animals and livestock, or they gather that information if possible from previous owners/foster families/etc. especially if there's rural/farm areas nearby, as that is something that prospective owners want to know.

Back
Top Bottom