Planning/Building my First ever Chicken Coop. Need help and ideas!

How many chicken coop roosts for 3 hens?

Votes: 28 66.7%

Votes: 9 21.4%

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • or more

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Jkraft

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015
Willow Springs, NC

I plan on getting 3 hens within the next few weeks. I have never owned chickens or really been around chickens besides at the local fair. I am really excited to start this journey and can't wait to get my girls! I plan keeping them in the coop and pen area when the dogs are out (or until I know how my dogs will act around them) and when I can not supervise them.

My husband purchased me a coop from a local yard sale site. It was made to be a Custom built duck house with 30-year metal roof. Completely water-sealed inside and out with removable roof for easy cleaning. Very sturdy and clean! Less than a year old and never used by ducks, although the previous owners chickens laid a few eggs in there. Duck house is 38”H x 47”W x 40”D. It also came with 2 horse troughs. What will I need to make it the perfect home?

I plan on making a pen area. I haven't started that yet so any ideas or helpful hints are welcome! I also plan on building 1 nest box out of 2 by 4s I got for free and plywood I will purchase. With at least 1 horse troughs I plan on turning into a dust bath. Not sure what to do with the other. I also plan on making 1 swing. Should I make chicken coop roosts? If so how many? Should I raise my coop off the ground and make a ramp?

I also started a small worm farm for compost and tasty snacks for my girls. Additionally I ordered Non-GMO Project Verified Hard Red Spring Wheat Berries | 100% Non-Irradiated | Certified Kosher Parve | USA Grown |Identity Preserved to grow sprouting fodder for snacks. Not sure about food and water dishes.

For the most part I have done a lot of research on BYC and looked at pinterest for diy things and more information. Thank you in advance for all your help!

Last edited:
I also made a chicken nipple waterier. Very easy and cost less than $10

All finished and tested for leaks.

I purchased the nipples on amazon got 10 for less than $6 and the bucket from lowes $3. What do you think?
I love the nipple waterers. They sure beat the flip waterers hands down! Another option is the horizontal nipples. I like them even better than the vertical ones.

Yes but Im going to put a plastic bin in each one so they won't fall out. I made it open like that so I was able to clean out the coop.
Might need to put a board up to hold the floor bedding in when you open the nests to gather eggs.

Last edited:
Yesterday I got my first egg. I was so excited. My oldest hens are not even 6 months yet. The Buffs will be 6 months the 15th and my silkie will be 6 months the 23rd. I went out this am and found another egg. I was so excited I screamed in joy! My husband thought I got hurt and came running. Nope just got my first egg.

EGG#2

I would start by ventilating the coop (I don't see where there's any ventilation other than the opening on the front).
Is there also a door on the back that you can open and clean the coop out or do you have to shovel or pitchfork the bedding out thru the roof?
I prefer to have my coops raised so that the chickens can use the area underneath for shade.
All of my chickens (save for a few of the Silkies) prefer to roost (the higher the better).

Good luck with your venture! Looks like the coop is sturdy.

3 chickens, huh? That'll change when chicken math kicks in.
wink.png
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice!

I will definitely add ventilation. I am picking it up tonight so I'm not sure if there is another door. I will soon find out. I think I will raise it as well. Not sure exactly how but were figuring it out as we go. I'm going to look in my woods out back and see if I can find some good branches for the roost.

3 for now but from what I hear it won't last long. I am getting 1 Jubilee English Orpington, 1 Silkie, and 1 Crested Cream Legbar.
D.gif

Best of luck. One more suggestion is before you add your chickens to the coop, disinfect it. Some folks use bleach, some use oxine AH to disinfect; I typically like to use Virkon S.

Back
Top Bottom