Plans for Nesting Boxes

I love your helper goat UpHillJill!

Thanks! We love her too.
love.gif

And here's a finished photo...

what do you have for padding in the boxes and how far aff the ground ?

thanks and yours look great
Rayma

Boxes are the (almost) last thing to build to complete the new coop
wee.gif
Is 12" cubed big enough? In the old coop they were 20" cubed which seemed to be more that enough room. These, however, will be hanging outside the coop for easy access. I'm afraid the bigger ones would be too heavy.

I got some helpful DIY info from youtube. So I went off to home depot and got some Husky stacking bins that have a dip in the front easy for chicken entry and with a homemade divider one bin is great for 2 chickens. They stack well have holes already set in them for tethering them to the coop as well are sturdy and only cost $ 13 for one bin. They are 31.5 W x 17 L x 14.5 H the sku on them is 698805 and the color on them is grey. They are what we needed for our 11 chickens and with such a big opening they are easy to spot eggs as well as keep them safe from rolling out. Hope this helps those in confusion of what to use.

Last edited:
Here are my nesting boxes. I started with a 14" wide piece of plywood and cut an angle from 17 inches to 14 inches. These became the sides of the boxes. I used 2x4s that I ripped to 1.75" (basically homemade 2x2s) to strengthen the sides for attaching to the coop and bottom. The "shingles" are flooring samples over plywood.

Is there any guidelines for the lip on nesting boxes? like a good size to keep the bedding in and eggs from being pushed out? Also, how far out from the boxes should the little roost for them to jump up to be?
Thanks

Awesome choice! I too found the same storage bins at Lowe's and fell in love with them. Ours are black, but our Barred Rock chickens haven't started laying yet. It should be any day. They are 19 weeks old and have started squatting. We decided to cut a circle out the backs of each one of the nest boxes so we could have access from the outside of the coop. I hope it works!

65588_img_1502.jpg
This is an awesome idea!! I need to get some of these.

Here's some pics of DH making our side-by-side nesting boxes. I'm sure it could be easily modified to make a duplex. (Sorry I seem to be missing the finished photo. If you want I can try to take one this weekend.) Of course, a goat helper is needed to build anything.
tongue.png

Can you tell me the dimensions?

Back
Top Bottom