Playpen

tia

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Valdez, Alaska
Okay I think I am going nuts - I was thinking about ordering or finding a playpen for my ducks, so I can bring them inside for short periods of time. It would also me handy when I take them to school. It would be tall enough that they couldn't get out and have a mat on the bottom that would be fairly easy to clean. I could put some pine shavings on the bottom. Has anyone tried this?

Tia

Someone in the Washington thread was just talking about this the other day. They use one as a brooder. Make sure to put something around the bottom to prevent poop from flying out.

You could also consider a superyard. It is like a play pen but no bottom. You can put multiple together and circle them around to create a pen and when you aren't using it just folds up. I don't have ducks (yet) but we're using a superyard to protect the Xmas tree from our toddler. It comes with 6 panels but I know someone who bought 3 and uses them in a long line to keep her toddler from a large entertainment center.

Disadvantage is it doesn't have the pre-built bottom like you mentioned.

I posted on craigslist asking for old playpens for rescued ducks.

I specifically asked for the non child approved ones so that they could be recycled to good use.
smile.png

i used a play pen with shavings/puppy pads... the puppy pads on the bottom help soak up liquids and make it easier to clean. Sometimes one of my ducks would try to jump out or i'd find them standing on the edge precariously. lol. it's good for short periods of time... It's just hard to find the big ones like they used ot make. those are the best... the newer ones these days are like half the size... Ebay is also a good source!

get one of those rigid paddling pools with hard walls i have one of those its easy to clean coz its waterproof obviously lol

i used a travel cot / playpen thing as a brooder, i wouldnt get one of those if i were you i nearly had a nervous breakdown cleaning it everyday
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom