Please help ID...

KrisRose

Songster
12 Years
Mar 9, 2007
Davison, MI.
Hi everybody-
I'm hoping someone can help me identify what breed Gracie is.
I got her form a local feed store and she was in with the BR's. The chicks were a day old and all the other BR's were fuzzie. Gracie was half their size, all black and not fuzzie. I just though she was a runt, but as she grows she looks very different from the BR'S.
The first picture is of Mumble with Gracie to the left. Can you see a difference in the baby fuzz? They are 5 to 6 days old. The other two photos are all that I have of her at that age.
P3250057_056_056.jpg

P3240045_045_045.jpg

P3240046_046_046.jpg

Gracie coloring is mostly black, beak, legs, feet (both top and bottem). Her skin is pink and she has a tiny yellow comb. Her feathers are black with a rusty brown stripe on the wings. This color is also on her neck and breast. The feather shafts are an iridescent blue!
Her she is at 3 weeks.

P3240048_048_048.jpg

P4050085_084_084.jpg

P4050086_085_085.jpg

Gracie has caught up in size to the BR's but is more slender in body type. She is as skittish as the EE's but when it comes to treats she gets in there and gets her share.
Thanks- any and all opinions appreciated.

Kristin

P.S. ChickFlick has already put in her two cents- she thinks Gracie is a crow and would'nt be surprized if one day she just flew away. H'mmm- maybe all opinions would'nt be appreciated!!!!

Quote:
Yes! I didn't think of that. Black sex links have some brown around their neck and on their wings. She's probably a Black sex link.

Cool. It was probably not smart to pick the runt but she is such a cutie. Thanks for the information. I'll go to feathersite and look at pictures of black sex links.

Accidental- look at feathersite under Black Stars. There is a picture with the title " my mean old black sexed linked hen". She has legs that look black BUT there are others that have light colored legs. So I'm wondering if it depends on the cross (BR and RIR or NHR??)??? Could some have black legs and others not??

I'm certainly not an expert, so yes, it could be that some crosses produce black legged black sex-links. I have 2 that are barred rock X rir crosses and their legs are normal flesh colored.

The picture you refer to seems to be a toss-up imo, it looks like maybe the legs are not completely black,nor completely flesh colored.

I'd be interested to know if it is possible to produce black legged black sex links, as the breeding stock (barred rocks with either an rir or a new hampshire red), don't have black legs.

Anyone have the answer???

Back
Top Bottom