Please Help Me I feel like I may not get past this 😢😢😭😭

DCC2615

Chirping
Oct 25, 2023
My dog killed one of my baby duckling, I literally been down to pick up a water bowl heard one baby cry and went to box and my baby was laying there dead and the other baby was laying by the dead one. I have been crying for hours I want the DOG gone I contacted my Breeder and told her I want tp re home the dog. I do t know how to help the baby that’s left my older ducks will kill it and I am afraid the 4 week old ducks will hurt it too. I am beside myself with grief I am not sure I will make it thru this

It is very sad to lose a bird, especially young ones. Hope you feel better. :hugs It's really disturbing to see a baby standing by the side of it's dead friend, I've had it happen before. ♥️

I think you should probably get more ducks. I'm not sure about getting rid of the dog, though. Has the dog done this before? What's it's temperament like? Is it a farm dog, outdoor dog or what?

The dog didn't do it on purpose, it was just being a dog. Honestly, I'd rehome the ducks. Because if you have a hard time with loss, having animals that are very low on the food chain is not a good idea. Loss happens with livestock
Please seek counseling, there are many apps and internet services that provide it for free. ❤️‍🩹

In the. Meantime while your deciding what’s best give your duckling a mirror that is safe and a stuffed animal. Also, get your brooder up off the floor I have dachshunds with high prey drive my brooder sits on the table so my dog has no access to the brooder
Very sorry for your loss. Also, make sure your brooder is tall enough the duckling can’t jump out it’s amazing how high they can jump

Last edited:
In the. Mean time while your deciding what’s best give your duckling a mirror that is safe and a stuffed animal. Also get your brooder up off the floor I have dachshunds with high prey drive my I brooder sits on the table so my dog has no access to the brooder
Very sorry for your loss. Also make sure your brooder is tall enough the duckling can’t jump out it’s amazing how high they can jump
I've used a purse makeup mirror in a pinch
just dont use your favorite one because it will get poop on it

:hugs here’s a hug
You WILL make it through this
because you have to take care of the other ducks
it’s very sad what happened
it’s heartbreaking
but your dog didn’t know what it was doing
try to forgive your dog
but also keep the ducklings safe from your dog and other dogs
here’s more hugs :hugs
i’m so sorry

Thanks everyone, I am still reeling from this. The dog is a Siberian Husky and she has killed bunnies before and a blue jay outside when this happened I boarded up the shed so bunnies couldn’t nest under, and made a kennel area away from everything except the neighbors fence. It’s work and no more kills until today. I have 4 adult ducks she’s never bothered but they are not in my house, I have 2 ducks that are 4 weeks old in the house she’s never bothered, these babies were just born 2 weeks ago she’s never bothered them until today, she actually protected them from the other two dogs and stood guard and wouldn’t let them near them. That why this makes no sense. She does have epilepsy but again today makes no sense and I know she did it I have cameras and saw it. I hatched these babies stayed up all night to make sure they were ok and one I had to help cause it was stuck. I did put in a mirror and a stuffed animal I also moved the brooder into the room with the 4 week olds so baby can at least hear the other ducks even though they cannot see. My daughter asked the bury the baby so we did. I live in a place that has winter and we are only in the 30’s during the day and 20’s at night this is why the babies are in my house

Back
Top Bottom