Please Help Me I feel like I may not get past this šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

Thanks everyone, I am still reeling from this. The dog is a Siberian Husky and she has killed bunnies before and a blue jay outside when this happened I boarded up the shed so bunnies couldnā€™t nest under, and made a kennel area away from everything except the neighbors fence. Itā€™s work and no more kills until today. I have 4 adult ducks sheā€™s never bothered but they are not in my house, I have 2 ducks that are 4 weeks old in the house sheā€™s never bothered, these babies were just born 2 weeks ago sheā€™s never bothered them until today, she actually protected them from the other two dogs and stood guard and wouldnā€™t let them near them. That why this makes no sense. She does have epilepsy but again today makes no sense and I know she did it I have cameras and saw it. I hatched these babies stayed up all night to make sure they were ok and one I had to help cause it was stuck. I did put in a mirror and a stuffed animal I also moved the brooder into the room with the 4 week olds so baby can at least hear the other ducks even though they cannot see. My daughter asked the bury the baby so we did. I live in a place that has winter and we are only in the 30ā€™s during the day and 20ā€™s at night this is why the babies are in my house

Again, sorry for your loss. I'm just a little curious about why you'd let her close to baby pray animals when she has a history of going after them. She is a Siberian Husky, which is a primitive, basal dog breed. Seems like the lone duckling is being well taken care of

I feel your pain my mini dachshund killed one of my Muscovy ducklings becasue I didn't double-check to make sure the gate was closed just this one time and the duckling walked into the backyard. It was awful and still to this day l still hurt for that little one. Things happen and it can be a hard lesson but we do learn thank goodness.
You have done what you could now to protect the little one forgive yourself and let your ducklings help you to heal. :hugs

Thanks everyone, I am still reeling from this. The dog is a Siberian Husky and she has killed bunnies before and a blue jay outside when this happened I boarded up the shed so bunnies couldnā€™t nest under, and made a kennel area away from everything except the neighbors fence. Itā€™s work and no more kills until today. I have 4 adult ducks sheā€™s never bothered but they are not in my house, I have 2 ducks that are 4 weeks old in the house sheā€™s never bothered, these babies were just born 2 weeks ago sheā€™s never bothered them until today, she actually protected them from the other two dogs and stood guard and wouldnā€™t let them near them. That why this makes no sense. She does have epilepsy but again today makes no sense and I know she did it I have cameras and saw it. I hatched these babies stayed up all night to make sure they were ok and one I had to help cause it was stuck. I did put in a mirror and a stuffed animal I also moved the brooder into the room with the 4 week olds so baby can at least hear the other ducks even though they cannot see. My daughter asked the bury the baby so we did. I live in a place that has winter and we are only in the 30ā€™s during the day and 20ā€™s at night this is why the babies are in my house
Huskies have a high prey drive, it's what they do. They're half a bubble off from wolves.

Again, sorry for your loss. I'm just a little curious about why you'd let her close to baby pray animals when she has a history of going after them. She is a Siberian Husky, which is a primitive, basal dog breed. Seems like the lone duckling is being well taken care of
I did not let her close to them I was in the same room when she did it, I bent down to pick up a water bowl, sheā€™s been around my adult ducks no issues I have 4 week old ducks they are in the house too in a separate room but they no longer require a heat lamp so the tiny ones were with me in the main room sheā€™s never bothered any of them until yesterday. Yes it is my fault because I could have elevated the brooder, I could have gated the brooder, covered it, or moved it into a more protected area, none of this can be changed now and none of it makes the grief any less bearable. I actually have TWO Huskies and my male wouldnā€™t hurt a fly my female was so ā€œprotectiveā€ of the ducks never allowing anyone but me near them that I never thought sheā€™d do something like thisā€¦..again my fault, my shame, my guilt, now I have to live with this everyday

It's going to be okay. Yeah you messed up, but it sounds like it happened so fast that she didn't suffer. Now you know you can never trust the dogs. If you really want to re-home the female husky, I'm sure the breeder won't have trouble finding a new family. BUT, I would never trust the male as well. I personally would adjust my management practices to keep dogs and ducks separate at all times.

I like the advice of either finding your duckling some friends asap (and give her a mirror in the meantime), or rehoming her with someone that's also raising ducklings. She's still so young that integration shouldn't be a problem.

I'm so sorry this happened. :hugs

:hugs Please don't blame yourself for this, or at least try to let yourself off the hook. It's easy to second-guess yourself now and think, "coulda, woulda, shoulda." But what's done is done and the truth is, you did not deliberately put your duckling at risk. You did the best you could at the time. Yes, your dog's breed can have high prey drive but your dog had been protective of your babies. You had no way of knowing it would turn, you thought it could be trusted. These things happen. You have learned a lesson and you'll never make this mistake again, right? Who among us can say we've never made a similar mistake? More than we'd like to admit have been in your shoes. So please, don't beat yourself up. Let it be a learning experience. Grieve and move on. You are not alone. ā¤ļø

My dog killed one of my baby duckling, I literally been down to pick up a water bowl heard one baby cry and went to box and my baby was laying there dead and the other baby was laying by the dead one. I have been crying for hours I want the DOG gone I contacted my Breeder and told her I want tp re home the dog. I do t know how to help the baby thatā€™s left my older ducks will kill it and I am afraid the 4 week old ducks will hurt it too. I am beside myself with grief I am not sure I will make it thru this
Im so sorry for you loss. When I started keeping chickens I had about 13 baby chicks about a week old in a brooder and are in my finished basement. Anyways one night I went down to check on the. Some people might not want to read past this point. Ok the brooder was knocked over. All the baby chicks were spread ed out everywhere intestines were laying halfway out of the body and other organs all over my floor. My dog didint eat them it was just her insticnt. If you want to keep your dog you are alble to train them to behave. Ill same method I did with my dog dont know how big your dog is but I have a doberman anyways put them on a leach maybe ten yards away. Im ggonna say chickens thats what I have now but it worked for all my poultry. Walk them back and forth and in circles still so the dogs arent close enough to touch them. Do this every day or every other day. This will make your dogs get used to the chickens a everyday life animal. After a week or two maybe have a barrier between your ducks and your dog. Let your dog off the leach if he runs up to the chickens you'll need to keep practicing.
hope you find this helpfull.

I did not let her close to them I was in the same room when she did it, I bent down to pick up a water bowl, sheā€™s been around my adult ducks no issues I have 4 week old ducks they are in the house too in a separate room but they no longer require a heat lamp so the tiny ones were with me in the main room sheā€™s never bothered any of them until yesterday. Yes it is my fault because I could have elevated the brooder, I could have gated the brooder, covered it, or moved it into a more protected area, none of this can be changed now and none of it makes the grief any less bearable. I actually have TWO Huskies and my male wouldnā€™t hurt a fly my female was so ā€œprotectiveā€ of the ducks never allowing anyone but me near them that I never thought sheā€™d do something like thisā€¦..again my fault, my shame, my guilt, now I have to live with this everyday
Your dog wasnt protecting the ducklings its was possessing them. I use to have a cocker that would be aggressive towards treats in a ball from the other dogs but i could get it no problem. Though my dogs never touched my birds did have a cat
Once start eating my chicks got rid of that cat wasnt dealing with that. And huskies are one of the worst breeds to have around live stock.

Back
Top Bottom