Please help!!! My 2 drakes attacked my baby goose

Quote:
Oh thank you, that had me worried. I still plan on the vet when they open but just want to do what I can in the meantime. Thanks again! I don't feel so discouraged right now. He is just laying around right now with a blanket wrapped around him, he seem so comfy.

I was thinking some about little Charlie overnight. Has he eaten yet? Maybe you can sprinkle some of his crumble in his water. You would just have to change the water frequently if you try that. Maybe a gosling smoothie? Hopefully he will start eating his crumble on his own once some of the pain subsides.

scratch'n'peck :

I was thinking some about little Charlie overnight. Has he eaten yet? Maybe you can sprinkle some of his crumble in his water. You would just have to change the water frequently if you try that. Maybe a gosling smoothie? Hopefully he will start eating his crumble on his own once some of the pain subsides.

Oh believe me it was a very long night. I really thought he was going to pass away because He just would flop down and his head curled up and touched the blanket on the floor. I held him wrapped in a blanket and cried and prayed all night. We finally settled down and I propped my self up on my son's couch in his bedroom and he seemed to perk up a bit. I then moved him to the floor since he was moving a bit and didn't want him to fall off the sofa. He is just very weak but got some vitamins, electrolytes and antibiotics in his water. I am giving it to him with a syringe. I have some of the chick pellets soaking in the water and am gettin ready to go give him some of that. He seems perkier today, just weak and wobbly when standing.​

Perkier is good. How is he doing now?

If he gets past the trauma/shock stage, which it kinds of sounds like, and you can ward off infection with the antibiotics, which you should, I'd say the odds for a recovery are good. If he does lose the eye (and I believe its much too early to know) he still can lead a perfectly normal life.

I wonder if he will remember this incident and be afraid of ducks or perhaps even be extra aggressive towards them some day. They say geese are extremely intelligent and have quite a memory.

Quote:
Well I believe what caused him to be like he was last night. He just had what I believe to be a seizure or some sort of convulsion. I was not able to witness this last night but I was just sitting in the floor with him and he was chirping alot and then all of a sudden he throws his head back to his back and very stiff and he started rolling around and I finally had to pick him up because I was afraid he would break his neck the way he was coming down on his neck and head.

I got him to eat several times today and he is drinking out of a syringe so he still has a fight and will to live and I am going to do everything and anything to help.

Does anyone have experience with brain injuries? this may be worse than just his poor eye.

Thank you

Oh, so sorry to hear that. I don't really know what to tell you on that one - I'd post about it in the emergencies forum, it has more traffic and might get a faster response.

Hi

Sorry to arrive later in the account of Charlie.

The seizures may be the result of a few things;

1) Infection causing raised toxins and raised temperature.

2) Dehydration again causing a rise in toxins in the bloodstream.

3) Cranial swelling around the injury areas.

My advice would be rest, quiet and gentle warmth and use cushions and/or soft toys to prop him up and provide psychological comfort. Make sure he's not too warm and observe for rapid breathing and/or panting. If so then decrease the heat to Charlie's comfort levels.

Then 1 - 2 hourly fluids which will help to decrease the toxin levels and maintain hydration. Also have access to a bowl of fresh water at all times and encourage Charlie to drink himself from the bowl. Also have food nearby in case he regains strength and starts to eat independently.

I would treat the eye injury locally with Chloramphenicol Eye Drops, 1 drop 4 times daily which will fight any local infection in the eye area. The rest will be TLC and hope Charlie starts to make a steady recovery.

Really sorry to hear about all your stress and sorry I cant be of more help. Best of luck with him
smile.png

Pete

Back
Top Bottom