Please help sex my peafowl!

As light as the OP's chick. And no, they are not purple black shoulder. I will take new pictures tonight, but for now I will repost a picture I took a couple weeks ago of the one that I kept. I also had two males that I sold that still had no color on their necks when I sold them. I will have to look back to be sure of their age when I sold them though.

This is a purple pied hen (pretty sure I'm correct on the gender). The colors are pretty close to how they look in person. She is approximately 15 weeks in this picture. This is the lightest (in the brown area's) she has ever looked.

900x900px-LL-cbc95892_IMGP0101.jpeg

I realized the other picture I posted of the male purple I kept is pretty dark so I will wait to post him until I get new pictures this evening. But he is a lot darker than the OP's chick as well. I have some terrible cell phone pictures (including of the two males I sold) but for whatever reason I CANNOT get them to email to myself, so I'm sorry but I cannot post them.

Also, I'm sorry this picture is so big, I had to copy and paste it because I am on a different computer from the one that it is saved on.

Like I said, I am certainly no expert, but the OP's chick just doesn't look anything like any of my purples.
idunno.gif

I agree that the OP's chick is a Cameo not a Purple, but I think the reddish tint in the first picture is causing some questions. Your hen is beautiful, but she has a lot of white which makes it hard to use her as a comparison with the bird in question. Did she by any chance come from PA eggs? If she did, my Purples are half sisters, that I hatched from snowshoe eggs.

I agree that the OP's chick is a Cameo not a Purple, but I think the reddish tint in the first picture is causing some questions. Your hen is beautiful, but she has a lot of white which makes it hard to use her as a comparison with the bird in question. Did she by any chance come from PA eggs? If she did, my Purples are half sisters, that I hatched from snowshoe eggs.

She did not, no. She came from California. My males did though.
big_smile.png
I had a fantastic hatch rate from snowshoe's eggs, and I am half the country away. The only problem was at least 6 of the 7 chicks I hatched from him were male!
lau.gif

I was concerned about the amount of white (to use her as a reference), but unfortunately she is the only purple hen that I have. I will try to get a couple pictures of her back, and I will take some of the male that I kept (who is solid with just a couple white feathers here and there) and is the same age as this chick if I remember correctly.

As light as the OP's chick. And no, they are not purple black shoulder. I will take new pictures tonight, but for now I will repost a picture I took a couple weeks ago of the one that I kept. I also had two males that I sold that still had no color on their necks when I sold them. I will have to look back to be sure of their age when I sold them though.

This is a purple pied hen (pretty sure I'm correct on the gender). The colors are pretty close to how they look in person. She is approximately 15 weeks in this picture. This is the lightest (in the brown area's) she has ever looked.

900x900px-LL-cbc95892_IMGP0101.jpeg

I realized the other picture I posted of the male purple I kept is pretty dark so I will wait to post him until I get new pictures this evening. But he is a lot darker than the OP's chick as well. I have some terrible cell phone pictures (including of the two males I sold) but for whatever reason I CANNOT get them to email to myself, so I'm sorry but I cannot post them.

Also, I'm sorry this picture is so big, I had to copy and paste it because I am on a different computer from the one that it is saved on.

Like I said, I am certainly no expert, but the OP's chick just doesn't look anything like any of my purples.
idunno.gif
Lovely hen
clap.gif

Frosty go look on that new thread about the found peacock that was just posted
it is a cameo looks young but then it could just be cause he lost his train anyhow last cameo male i saw grown was darker in the neck but when they are fixing to molt they are lighter anyhow as they fade with time.

The reason I am asking is because I got 2 cameos last year so now they are a year old. I was thinking they were both hens but noticed that one was just a little bit darker than the other. That one has a spur on one leg. Color wise I still suspect hen but the spur (it just has one) has me wondering. It isn't like the little spur bumps I see on the other hens.

At a year of age the spurs on the hens are small and the males are thicker,bigger and more to a point with kinda a curve to it. can you post photos of them?
I have a hen here with just one spur.
Do you know what your cameos came from parent wise? like if the momma was a IB and dad was a cameo ,all cameos off spring would be hens and all IB's would be boys
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom