Please help sex my peafowl!

It's a peacock. Also the premature train has lose webbing which another indication.
YAYYY! !! Thank you! Thats what I thought to! I've had doubts though and have been looking for a white peacock for sale for my 3 white girls and I already have one
1f604.png
here in another year I will have white chicks! Thank you for your quick response and reinsurance!

YAYYY! !! Thank you! Thats what I thought to! I've had doubts though and have been looking for a white peacock for sale for my 3 white girls and I already have one
1f604.png
here in another year I will have white chicks! Thank you for your quick response and reinsurance!

You're welcome. You might get some this year if they are all at least 2 years old.

You're welcome. You might get some this year if they are all at least 2 years old.
My 2 white hens are if breeding age, the male in the pic is only a year old so it may be a while:) their's a really great guy here in Oklahoma that has raised Pea's for over 10 years and he has some of the most unique colored peafowl that I have ever seen!!! He told me that once a Peacock developes even just one eye feather hes fertile. Im assuming with his experience that it must be true. My white male in the pic has bright yellow under both of his eyes so I'm thinking somewhere in his blood line theirs Spaulding.

My 2 white hens are if breeding age, the male in the pic is only a year old so it may be a while:) their's a really great guy here in Oklahoma that has raised Pea's for over 10 years and he has some of the most unique colored peafowl that I have ever seen!!! He told me that once a Peacock developes even just one eye feather hes fertile. Im assuming with his experience that it must be true. My white male in the pic has bright yellow under both of his eyes so I'm thinking somewhere in his blood line theirs Spaulding.

There are 225 varieties of peafowl recognized by the UPA. I hope to one day breed 14 varieties. I wish to breed: Indian Blue, Black Shoulder, Pied, Silver Pied, White, Purple, Cameo, Peach, Bronze, Charcoal, Opal, Taupe, Violeta, and Java Greens. I hope to own 3 trios for each variety, total of 126 breeding peafowl. That's a good rule of thumb. This may sound bad of me but one person here in Idaho that has had them for 30 years if I remember correctly. She has a few flaws in her ways. She scolded me for what I do with my birds and says her way is the best. A few things she got after me was: I use oyster shells, I feed my adults 22% protein all year, I feed peachicks a medicated game bird starter feed of 28% protein for the first 4-8 weeks. Her advice to me is, I should ditch the oyster shells because they have no calcium. I should lower my protein to an all flock feed of 18% protein mixed with laying hen feed of 16% protein to encourage laying, add barley, soy, and cracked corn to their feed. That my protein for peachicks is too high and that they should be at 18% protein. Another thing she tried to tell me is this is a Java Green peacock. At first I believed since she was experienced she should know. After studying the appearance of Green peafowl from Reinhold's website, Rocking BAB Ranch, and Read Mountain Peafowl I can now tell this is not a true Green. Neck feathers are the wrong color, not the right structure, crest feathers are not the right structure, not tight together, and they're a little bit on the short side. Another thing is the wing is not solid blueish green like Javas. You should be able to trust people that have experience but also you need to know a little bit on the subject as well. If you don't you could possibly be taken advantage of. If you wish to see some of the differences between a true Java Green and this Green here's the link to Reinhold's Java Green peafowl. http://www.pfauenfarm.de/Home-English/Our-Peafowl/Pavo-Muticus-Muticus-E/pavo-muticus-muticus-e.html

Last edited:
She sounds much akin to what Bradd Legg told me. 20% is a little too high for peas in his opinion. We have also heard right here in this board that some believe that twisted tibia in growing peachicks is caused by too high of protein level. As for calcium, they only need 1 1/2%, I don't add any to my pens as raw alfalfa has as much as 3% in it. Processed feeds will also have calcium in it as well, additional is not necessary IMHO. An avian nutritional guru, @Resolution I follow recommends a whole seed formula that gets to complicated for me to get into here and now. You can search BYC for some of his feeding recommendations, he hasn't been on here for quite a long time. I wouldn't dismiss her entirely.

She sounds much akin to what Bradd Legg told me. 20% is a little too high for peas in his opinion. We have also heard right here in this board that some believe that twisted tibia in growing peachicks is caused by too high of protein level. As for calcium, they only need 1 1/2%, I don't add any to my pens as raw alfalfa has as much as 3% in it. Processed feeds will also have calcium in it as well, additional is not necessary IMHO. An avian nutritional guru, @Resolution I follow recommends a whole seed formula that gets to complicated for me to get into here and now. You can search BYC for some of his feeding recommendations, he hasn't been on here for quite a long time. I wouldn't dismiss her entirely.
I just do it as a precaution. The eggs have a very smooth shell. I'm not saying she's entirely wrong. There are a few parts that throw up a couple red flags. Such as oyster shells not having any calcium. I know some peafowl breeders prefer to keep the protein under 20%. Cracked corn would be if you're wanting to add more carbs the bird's diet and lower the calcium or protein in take. The feed she's using is already at 18%. I thought soy was sort of a no, no, for peafowl? Or am I thinking of something else. The main point that I was trying to get at was you should be able to trust people if they have more experience than you, but not always, and it's best to know a little bit on certain topics.

I just do it as a precaution. The eggs have a very smooth shell. I'm not saying she's entirely wrong. There are a few parts that throw up a couple red flags. Such as oyster shells not having any calcium. I know some peafowl breeders prefer to keep the protein under 20%. Cracked corn would be if you're wanting to add more carbs the bird's diet and lower the calcium or protein in take. The feed she's using is already at 18%. I thought soy was sort of a no, no, for peafowl? Or am I thinking of something else. The main point that I was trying to get at was you should be able to trust people if they have more experience than you, but not always, and it's best to know a little bit on certain topics.

I agree about the oyster shells for needed calcium. I also supplement all of my bird types with calcium while they are laying and sparingly when not. This may also be a wives tale but, I have heard that a lack of calcium can lead to feather plucking so I have always used it. Now, to be honest, it has not stopped all the plucking and probably never will but it gives me peace of mind and doesn't hurt them. If they dont need it they wont eat it. As for protein levels, (another heavily debated subject,
1f601.png
) I have always fed 28% crumbles during breeding season as well as my brood chicks and more whole grains in the winter. This has always worked for me so I dont fix it.

Gerald Barker

I agree about the oyster shells for needed calcium. I also supplement all of my bird types with calcium while they are laying and sparingly when not. This may also be a wives tale but, I have heard that a lack of calcium can lead to feather plucking so I have always used it. Now, to be honest, it has not stopped all the plucking and probably never will but it gives me peace of mind and doesn't hurt them. If they dont need it they wont eat it. As for protein levels, (another heavily debated subject,
1f601.png
) I have always fed 28% crumbles during breeding season as well as my brood chicks and more whole grains in the winter. This has always worked for me so I dont fix it.

Gerald Barker

If birds are having a calcium deficiency they will not only pick the feathers but eat them. I give oyster shells to my peahens during breeding season, and when the peacock's molt. That way the calcium will go into the train for next year and will be strong, more uniform, and better quality. When I start seeing oyster shells not being eaten I stop giving it to them because obviously they don't need it. They eat when they need it and leave it when not needed. I'm always feeding the adults 22% protein. The chicks get a medicated 28% protein for 4-8 weeks. Grains during the winter can help a lot. Sometimes I will give cracked corn to them in the winter just to help get a little fat to help keep warm. My chickens will probably never need oyster shells. Calcium is a little bit on the higher side than I wish but it's not terribly high. My local feed store "switched" feeds. Still made by Nutrena but it's packaged by the feed store. They say it's the same as the previous but there's a difference. I've added more cracked corn to lower the calcium. Now I will only get 1 or 2 eggs rarely with a little bit of calcium deposits. My peahen eggs on the other hand are very smooth.
Original feed.

New feed. Notice the calcium is higher.

Can Resolution still post from that account?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom