Please help!

Southshore

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Hi there! Thanks for taking out the time to read this. I was recommended fishmeal for my peas as a protein sources. Unfortunately, they have completely refused to eat it. What can I use as a substitute?

Can boiler poultry feed be used as a substitute? i have heard it has harmful harmones. Don't know what to do :\. Please recommend a substitute protein source they would gladly consume. Thanks!!

Feed that game bird pellets. They have all the protein they need.

You can also feed hard boiled eggs... good for growing peachicks.

Thank you. Packaged ready made feed is not available here unfortunately. I have to prepare custom feed.

What other alternative is there?

I use chicken crumbles supplemented with cat food. They love all kinds of fruit and a lot of bugs. If you have grasshoppers over ther they love them as a treat! Greens too and veggies. I am trying to think of substitutes, mine love almost everything I eat but it should be unsalted if possible. Oats are good too.

Come on everyone, need ideas! Not sure what you grow locally, most squashes they like too.

Last edited:
I am from Pakistan Garden Peas

Southshore, can you tell us what kinds of commercial feeds are available to you? Are there commercially prepared catfoods or dogfoods which you can buy at a store? Are there commercial animal feeds for livestock? Is there anything that is sold as a pelleted feed or a crumble? What kinds of feed are given to chickens there? What about horses? What sorts of grains or crushed or processed grains are there? Are there any "pet" feeds available at all?

If you can tell us what things are available, we can help you figure out what to combine to meet your birds' nutritional needs.

Even here in the U.S., there are no feeds made specifically for peafowl, so we are all having to combine different kinds of feeds, depending on what is available in our areas.

I believe @hazal is also from Pakistan, so that person may have some helpful ideas based on knowledge of what is locally available -- dunno if the two of you are in the same town or region.

I just searched, and it looks like some of the folks here started answering the questions about feed very well and very thoroughly in this previous thread from you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/868552/please-help-customized-feed

So instead of starting from scratch, why don't we all go back over to that old thread and pick up where it got left off? That way, you don't have to list everything all over again, and we will have all the information in one place.

OK we can continue there. Yes we have packaged pet feed for cats and dogs. Also broiler poultry feed. These are the only commercially available feeds.

Get some cat food for them then and that will be a good protein source and they will enjoy it.
Just don't give them too much cat food. Maybe give them some 2 days a week or a tiny bit most days yet skipping some days.

You might have to find a specific brand of cat food that they will like. Sometimes they can be picky.

Back
Top Bottom