Please sex my Ancona

lpg3633

Hatching
Oct 24, 2015
I have two anconas, one I am sure is a female because she lays eggs and hatched a few. She has a large rose comb. I bought another "supposed" hen later in the spring. He/she is now 6 months old and has a very short comb, is a little larger than the hen and has small bumps on the back of the leg as if he was getting spurs. Do I have a rooster or a Hen? I haven't seen a single egg from this chicken yet. I have not heard him crow yet. The anconas have become my favorite breed. The hen is usually very docile except when anyone approaches her chicks, she is very protective.

I have two anconas, one I am sure is a female because she lays eggs and hatched a few. She has a large rose comb. I bought another "supposed" hen later in the spring. He/she is now 6 months old and has a very short comb, is a little larger than the hen and has small bumps on the back of the leg as if he was getting spurs. Do I have a rooster or a Hen? I haven't seen a single egg from this chicken yet. I have not heard him crow yet. The anconas have become my favorite breed. The hen is usually very docile except when anyone approaches her chicks, she is very protective.

You'll have to post a picture of her/him in order for us to tell.

We will need photos to be certain. Spur buds can be present on males or females. At that age, you can tell the sex by the feathering. Hens have rounded feathers and roosters have long shiny pointed feathers. Also, anconas are supposed to have single combs...

Can't really help you without pictures. You should take pictures of both hens / roos of the same age to help you out.

I thought that single combs were the norm, but apparently they also come in a rose comb variety.

Very interesting. I know there are several breeds like RIR and leghorns that come in a rose comb variety but I didn't know that there were anconas with rose combs too. That's always a great option for people in colder climates.

Anconas can have rose combs or single combs. I'll wait for photos to help sex your birds.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom