Plucker Rental Southern California

GibsonFamilyFarm

Songster
6 Years
Apr 23, 2018
SFV
Hello! I am looking for a plucker to rent in Southern California. Preferably around the Los Angeles area.

I am planning to process myself but I am also looking into taking them somewhere to be processed. If anyone has anywhere they can recommend in the LA area, I would appreciate that as well. Thank you!

Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I see someone renting one out on my local Craigslist farm and garden section quite often for about $50/day. You might check there and even your surrounding areas.

My local ace hardware has equipment rental.. like lift buckets, bobcats, riding mowers, etc.. I'm not positive they have it, but it would be a good place to check for plucker rental.

When I looked into having mine processed elsewhere.. come to find out in the USDA inspected facility.. your birds also get coated with some anti microbial stuff after processing.. due to possible cross contamination from other flocks, etc. That was a deal breaker for me.

There are a couple "mobile" processors.. up in the central northern Oregon area.. though not where I am (last time I checked). They bring out a trailer with all the equipment and handle it. They usually are also USDA regulated, though I'm unsure if they get that bath/spay.. and it's good to have options. Ooh, I found a list of mobile processors!..

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/livestock_id/pdfs/MobileSlaughterDirectory.pdf

I also called around to some of the local meat butcher shops.. here they're all booked out several months with big game and cattle, but I did get a couple of good leads by having a conversation with them.

I also bought a plucker (and sold it).. but ended up preferring to hand pluck as I only harvest 2-3 heritage birds at a time.. but sometimes included bantams. Getting the scalding correct makes a huge difference in my experience. But also not trying to pluck when there's tons of pin feathers. (maybe that's less issue if raising meaties?)

Will this be your first time harvesting? How many birds ya looking at?

Hope this helps with some ideas and also that you get more feedback! Happy culinary adventures! :drool

Thank you for the info!
I’d prefer to do it myself if I can. I have 14 total that I need to process. Some are older than others so I will be processing at least two separate times.
I’ve looked into Tractor Supply for a plucker rental as well as a few other places. No one seems to rent there here. I can see why. They wouldn’t be in high demand.
I was hoping there may be an individual who rents them out. I have searched CL, FBM and Offer up, but nothing.
Thank you again for you help 😊

Back
Top Bottom