Plymouth Rock thread!

Seeing the old photos are really cool. Love the front end of this bird, but that tail...yikes, high and obviously pinched. I would bet a lot that when you handled that bird she was very narrow and closed up in back end and wasn't a very good producer. Quite a lot of fluff for a Rock too. Just goes to show that even back in the old days they had issues too! LOL Sometimes I think a lot of us get lost in "The Golden Age of Poultry" and forget that they had major issues to fight just as we do today.
Isn't it crazy? They serioulsy haven't come that far in improving type. We still have many of these same issues. I am unsure why the SPR fell out of favor; the pattern varieties are definitely more difficult to work with. Not unlike my Marans; not only do we have type of the bird to breed for, but we also have that gorgeous dark egg to keep in mind. With the SPR, not only do we have the type that needs ironed out, we also have that pattern. It's a tough one. My goal is to move my flock forward, so that when I'm ready to move on, someone else can take them over & have an easier time working them up.

Do you know of anyone selling laying size Plymouth Rock hens? Thanks.

Jim Bond
What Area? What variety? Show quality?

Jim Bond, is your full name James Bond? How cool would that be.
cool.png

Excuse me if I am overstepping, but this guy's comb would be a cull in my mind. Unless the camera is playing tricks, looks like there is a fold in the comb.
There are a lot a variables here concerning to whether to throw that cockerel away just yet or no. It depends on where you're at in the breeding program, if he is the only one with good type or the only one you have to breed with, then you use him the list could be lengthy, the the comb shape(other than side sprigs), size, point count(too many too few) ect are way down far to the bottom of the totem pole when considering using him for breeding the comb is an easy fix later on when you get your numbers hatched on up to have a greater number to choose from.

Jeff

Last edited:
IMG_20130827_063807_zpsf3da082e.jpg

Hi aoxa
Yes this cockerel does have a Twisted in his comb which is a Fault. If he had Side Sprigs which is a Disqualification I would definitely cull him. Other than the twisted in him comb he is the best I have. So I don't feel it necessary to cull him at this time. There are more serious issues I plan to deal with first. I do thank you for your input. :)

There are a lot a variables here concerning to whether to throw that cockerel away just yet or no. It depends on where you're at in the breeding program, if he is the only one with good type or the only one you have to breed with, then you use him the list could be lengthy, the the comb shape(other than side sprigs), size, point count(too many too few)  ect are way down far to the bottom of the totem pole when considering using him for breeding the comb is an easy fix later on when you get your numbers hatched on up to have a greater number to choose from.

Jeff

I agree! :)

IMG_20130827_063807_zpsf3da082e.jpg

Hi aoxa
Yes this cockerel does have a Twisted in his comb which is a Fault. If he had Side Sprigs which is a Disqualification I would definitely cull him. Other than the twisted in him comb he is the best I have. So I don't feel it necessary to cull him at this time. There are more serious issues I plan to deal with first. I do thank you for your input.
smile.png
I also find his balance really off, his legs seem set way far back to me. Just trying to give some input.

I'd go for type over colour any day of the week. He just seems off to me.

Back
Top Bottom