Plymouth Rock thread!

I haven't hatched any chicks at all. I bought my BR's at a feed and seed. Mine were black with a white spot on top of their head. I would like to know the outcome to this!

Last edited:
All of the ones in the breeding pen have single combs. I have some doms in the background. That may be what you are referring to. I am not interested in sexing the chick. Just wondering if anyone hatched anything like it. I can't even make sense of what it would be from my other breeds. My free range crew is made up of doms, barred rocks, and Cochins. That is where the egg would have come from if it was mismarked. It looks like a barred rock other than it's strange facial markings. I wonder if chickens can have birthmarks? Lol. I am planning to keep it and grow it out just to see what it becomes.

Last edited:
All of the ones in the breeding pen have single combs. I have some doms in the background. That may be what you are referring to. I am not interested in sexing the chick. Just wondering if anyone hatched anything like it. I can't even make sense of what it would be from my other breeds. My free range crew is made up of doms, barred rocks, and Cochins. That is where the egg would have come from if it was mismarked. It looks like a barred rock other than it's strange facial markings. I wonder if chickens can have birthmarks? Lol. I am planning to keep it and grow it out just to see what it becomes.

I had a strangely barred BR cockerel chick from definite straight BR parents years ago. It was like reverse barring. I'd have to locate a photo from many years ago to show you. Out of all the ones hatched from the same parents, it had the strangest barring I'd ever seen. Even a genetics guru who was writing a book on the subject said it was the weirdest barring he'd ever seen. Leave it to me to come up with weird genetics puzzles. Looks like you may have one, too. Genes are really gremlins, playing tricks on us, I swear!

Okay, here you go. I had Wyandottes in the flock at the time and for a second, thought I'd picked up one of their eggs rather than my BR hen's egg. He was a real oddball, as you can see, nothing like any other chicks from that pairing and there was no logical reason for it.

Started out like this:

Last edited:
Wow. I was looking at where the wing feathers are coming in and there seemed to be more white than normal, this may be what I have. I am very careful about my eggs so I doubt I mixed one up. Also the chick is from non-hatchery birds. The parents are actually good quality. I think I will call the chick gremlin.

Last edited:
Wow. I was looking at where the wing feathers are coming in and there seemed to be more white than normal, this may be what I have. I am very careful about my eggs so I doubt I mixed one up. Also the chick is from non-hatchery birds. The parents are actually good quality. I think I will call the chick gremlin.

Haha, Gremlin sounds like a good name for it. The sire of mine was from McMurray and the mother was from Ideal but still, should never have come out like that. None of its siblings ever did, that's for sure.

Here is another picture of dad and possible mom.

Back
Top Bottom