Plymouth Rock thread!

You definitely have some originals there!

Thanks! These 2 are from the U of A Heritage Chicken Program. I learned at their seminar that the line these chickens are from haven't had any selected breeding since 1910 (the flock originated in Saskatchewan) and there was a famous hen "Lady Victorine" who laid 358 eggs in 1929 (a world record at the time).
Seven seems to have the biggest attachment to the dog :)

Thanks! These 2 are from the U of A Heritage Chicken Program. I learned at their seminar that the line these chickens are from haven't had any selected breeding since 1910 (the flock originated in Saskatchewan) and there was a famous hen "Lady Victorine" who laid 358 eggs in 1929 (a world record at the time).
Seven seems to have the biggest attachment to the dog :)
Very impressive, I wish I had access to such a breeding line. Although the hatchery quality ones lay quite proficiently, they just do not have the same impressive features as a breeder quality ones.

@dobermanacres
I actually live in Fayetteville,AR where the UofA is...how would I go about getting chicks from their heritage program? I don't need any more layers right now, but I'd definitely rather have breeder stock than hatchery stock (the more I get into learning & seeing the difference the more I want to switch, once my girls are past their prime) Thanks

Sorry pioneerchick816, I'm in Canada and U of A here is the University of Alberta. Right now the program here teams up with a Farm Supply store and all proceeds from the sale of chicks goes back to the Heritage Chicken program.

I'm not sure about Arkansas, but one of the professors here mentioned there are a few Heritage Programs in the States. I just had a quick peek and found https://division.uaex.edu/default.aspx It looks like they offer a small flock workshop, so it might be worth it to contact them to see if they sell any of their chicks! :)

Good luck!

Sorry pioneerchick816, I'm in Canada and U of A here is the University of Alberta. Right now the program here teams up with a Farm Supply store and all proceeds from the sale of chicks goes back to the Heritage Chicken program.

I'm not sure about Arkansas, but one of the professors here mentioned there are a few Heritage Programs in the States. I just had a quick peek and found https://division.uaex.edu/default.aspx It looks like they offer a small flock workshop, so it might be worth it to contact them to see if they sell any of their chicks! :)

Good luck!
Ha ha. University of Arkansas or Alberta. My bad. Lol

Of my five assorted girls, my little barred rock Dixie is my pick "of the litter!" She's quite outgoing, a snuggler, and she has personality galore!!
37862_chickens_11_weeks_014.jpg
Our Barred Rock is named Dixie also! :)

I received 12 BR chicks from the hatchery, when they arrived I had 11 black chicks and one gray. Four weeks into this and the gray one is the only one that looks like a cockerel. Is it possible that out of the 12 straight run chicks that I received, I have 11 pullets? Do the cockerels always look gray when hatched? Any help would be appreciated.

We have two barred PRs that we got as chicks. One is named Michonne (a la The Walking Dead), and one is named Killer. Killer was the runt of all six chicks we had, so we liked the irony. Also, ironically, she is one of the nicest...super curious and friendly.

I do fear that Michonne may actually be Rick. We're at 14 weeks and 'she' is lighter colored, bigger combed, thicker legged, and has some tail feathers that are starting to arch. Whoops.

Hi all! I have a question for you experienced “ Rock Collectors “. I hav 6 BR pullets @ about 8 weeks old. They LOVE to fly. I have them completely contained in a grow out enclosure.

When I put them in with the main flock. Am I going to have to construct a avian net above the electric netting fence to contain them? Or will they respect the boundaries? And turn out to be none flyers? Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom