Plymouth Rock thread!

I killed 2 of my roos at 12 weeks old. They were constantly causing trouble. Unfortunately, they were the smallest 2 roos. They dressed out 2.5 pounds each. They tasted good. Things were more peacefull with the flock with them gone. Other 2 I roos got along pretty good until about 16 weeks of age. Shipped 1 roo off. July 10th, right at about 19 weeks got 1st 2 eggs. Couple days later 1 hen dies. Have 3 hens and getting 2 eggs a day. 1 hen, scooter hasn't quite got it figured out yet. She sits on nest for awhile. No egg when she gets off. Both Wanda and Marsha started out laying small to medium size eggs. Wanda is now laying large eggs.
If you want your cockerels to get along make sure you run a mature cock with them with no more than one hen. It's the only way to be able to retain your cockerels in good confition up until the proper age to cull.

Hello to all you Plymouth Rock fanciers

Just sharing some pics of my silver-pencilled pullets and cockerals (spring chickens). Just have eight new pullets so far. I have a broody setting on a few more sppr eggs. I am attempting to raise a flock of these heritage chickens. Out of 24 eggs hatched so far only 8 were pullets! This is not a great average for females!
These pullets will develop the beautiful silver pencilled plumage as they mature. I'll post more pics later.

Very pretty, I need to get some pics of mine also. Have you noticed that your hold their tails down a lot? All of my girls and my two Roos have their tails down, not sure if it is because the are not the dominate in the pen or what.

Here are some of my 15 week old boys...
_MG_2728.jpg
_MG_2776.jpg
_MG_2858.jpg
One of the two 15 week old girls.. I have 4 pullets that are 4 weeks old as well, but they are at this stage that you wouldn't want to take pictures of :p

Hi Rachel.
About their tails, they don't have long tail feathers in comparison to other chickens. So far I haven't noticed them not holding their tails upward. I think their tails should be about the same level as their heads with a dip in their middle for their back line. Others please chime in here, if I am not understanding the question please.

Bye for now.

Our barred rock rooster FINALLY crowed today!
wee.gif

The little turd is almost 4 months old and hasn't acted much like a man until now. haha I'm so proud!

See this is what I mean, here are my two boys and 1 girl. See how their tails go down. These are from Dick Hortsman lines.

Here are a few more

Hen

Group shot of the girls, 1 is missing

See this is what I mean, here are my two boys and 1 girl.  See how their tails go down.  These are from Dick Hortsman lines.

Here are a few more

Hen

Group shot of the girls, 1 is missing
They almost look rumpless!

My boys are from Derek Fulton lines. Hope they turn out really pretty!

This is one of the roosters from that line. It is a Canadian strain I believe.

My best boy just started crowing a few days ago. Now he is mating whoever he can catch.

Last edited:
Our barred rock rooster FINALLY crowed today! :weee

The little turd is almost 4 months old and hasn't acted much like a man until now. haha I'm so proud!

My first rooster of standard breed was a barred rock, and he took until six months old to figure things out. Very slow to develop in that sense, but once he did, watch out! He's a ladies man :love

Back
Top Bottom