Plymouth Rock thread!

Those are some gorgeous hens!
Thx BackyardCoop!
smile.png

Hello Megan

Glad to see that you have sppr chickens too. I don't think there are very many around. I have a few and I live in Prince Edward Island, Canada, on the east coast. The other people with sppr chickens that I see online at BYC are far away. It may be a good idea for breeders of this heritage breed to find out where this breed is being raised and try to prevent it from dying out.

Does anyone on this thread know whether someone is keeping track of where sppr breeders are? It would be a good resource to have a list of breeders. Thank you.

Dru is 21 weeks old now and getting very red in the face. She's filled out quite a bit, too. In the first picture, she's on the left side, checking out Fern, who is hard at work. Fern is the daughter of a hatchery hen and she's my best layer at going on 4 years old.

Hello Megan

Glad to see that you have sppr chickens too.   I don't think there are very many around.  I have a few and I live in Prince Edward Island, Canada, on the east coast.  The other people with sppr chickens that I see online at BYC are far away.  It may be a good idea for breeders of this heritage breed to find out where this breed is being raised and try to prevent it from dying out.

Does anyone on this thread know whether someone is keeping track of where sppr breeders are? It would be a good resource to have a list of breeders. Thank you.
You know what's great to see? Someone who lives so close! :D I noticed your name.. and I did a retake. How cool!

Dru is looking great!!! I'm thinking her and "big poppa", my roo would make some beautiful baby rocks!
lol.png
About the same age, too! haha

What age would a silver penciled rock lay? My guys are of course not hatchery and are only 17 weeks. The reason I ask, is the other day I got a small egg, figured the heat affected my Barred Rock. I have gotten 1 Rock egg a day, today I really looked at them all together in the fridge and I have a bunch that are light brown (pre 4 days ago), then the small egg is REALLY light brown, I would call it brown except next to the others it is lighter. So out the the past 4 days there are two light brown and two that are that REALLY light brown. Could they all be coming from the same Barred Rock? Or is it possible one of my SPRs started to lay? The only other laying hens lay dark brown, theirs are easy to pick out.

Back
Top Bottom