PNW chicken owners and other rainy areas. Run muddy, some questions.

Quote:
Yeah, once we brought home a bunch of straw and it became cement, then molded. We had to break it up with shovels also. Nice to know we aren't the only person to make this mistake!

Our chickens go outside in the muck all the time. We would watch them to make sure none were sick, of course. Try having ducks, and it just gets worse. Our LOVE the rain and refuse to go to sleep when it's raining. The area around the water feeder is a river. Gah. Of course I don't have to deal with them because I moved out. Who knew you could miss them, even when they were ankle deep in mud!

went out this morning and checked the area I am puting the run in. and decided I need a roof over it... who would of thunk
lau.gif

I've seen some real sharp pointy granite gravel that I don't know as I'd want chickens on a whole lot.

Most gravel isn't, though, at least in most of the E half of the country (reminder, I am speaking of America as much or more than Canada here, Liz, as I am American and lived in the US most of my life) and I think a whole lot of other places too.

Especially if you buy a sand/gravel mix called 'roadbase' which is generally one of the cheaper aggregates you can get. Peagravel, too, is generally fairly rounded-off stuff.

It is always wise to see a sample of what you're buying before having a great big ol' load dumped in your driveway... but most gravels will be perfectly fine for chickens.

Pat

Pea gravel is pretty soft stuff to dig around in, I have a ton of it, and my chickens have been fine for years.
smile.png

I let my girl free range 1/2 of the day when it's really wet. They run from shrub to shrub, and I figure they'll come in if it gets to bad. My white cochin looks like she dipped her chest in a mud bath, but she's ok. My run isn't covered (I just have some plywood scraps over it), but I plan to either put a roof on it, or some of that corrugated roofing that lets the light through. Depending on how large the run is, I may be cheaper to just throw some roofing on rather than keep buying tarps.
big_smile.png

I'm in Corvallis, and even the covered portion of our run is wet in the winter (because rain doesn't come from above here, it comes from all directions
roll.png
).

I think that much like children, chickens raised in the PNW don't know any different and make the best of it. My hens don't seem to mind the rain unless it's coming down hard, and since most of the time it's just drizzle, they are fine.

I have to let them free range in the winter, otherwise the run just turns to mud. They gravitate towards higher areas - large piles of leaves or the compost pile, grassy areas under trees, under large evergreens, and under the eaves of our house for dust baths. If they start congregating on the covered patio (and pooping on the furniture) I take it as my cue to shoo them back into their coop. With freedom comes responsibility!
wink.png

If you must keep them confined, I suggest large piles of organic matter - like leaves. Don't spread it, let them do it. Also consider evergreen boughs - doug fir or whatever you have handy. These often harbor tasty insect treats.

For long term, consider planting some evergreen trees around or in your run. Doug fir is a fast-growing native that will provide some dry area for them in a few years, as well as soaking up a lot of rain water.

ETA: I don't consider gravel to be a sustainable solution. You'll have to replace it often. As for landscape fabric, etc, they will tear it apart and eat it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom