Poison Ivy around Coop

kaboyer23

Hatching
Mar 21, 2019
Platte City, MO
I have lots of poison ivy plants near my chicken coop. I’m wanting to spray the plants to get rid of them since we’re working on clearing out that area (next to the coop). But if I buy and use a spray from the store... wouldn’t those chemicals hurt or kill my chickens? Just from the scent of if the wind took some of the spray to the run area.
Any suggestions on how to get rid of the poison ivy without hurting or killing my girls would be appreciated!

I don't know which chemical you are talking about using. What does the label say about using it around animals? My concerns would be injury to the animals but also is there a withdrawal time before it is safe to teat the eggs.

Is the poison ivy outside the coop and run area so you are only worried about the mist from the spray drifting in to the chicken area? Then spray when there is no wind or when the wind is blowing another direction. Or if it is in liquid form, put some of the liquid in a small cup and use a small paint brush to paint the poison on the poison ivy plant.

Contact, phone or e-mail, the manufacturer of the herbicide and discuss it with them.

I don't know of any way to get rid of poison ivy that actually works other than an herbicide made for it. It keeps coning back from the roots unless you kill the roots.

I have lots of poison ivy plants near my chicken coop. I’m wanting to spray the plants to get rid of them since we’re working on clearing out that area (next to the coop). But if I buy and use a spray from the store... wouldn’t those chemicals hurt or kill my chickens? Just from the scent of if the wind took some of the spray to the run area.
Any suggestions on how to get rid of the poison ivy without hurting or killing my girls would be appreciated!
Dig it up making sure you get the roots.;)

Personally I would read the label on RoundUp and if it is not harmful to pets I would use that. It does a good job on poison ivy. If your still worried about the chickens, put some chicken wire around the sprayed area. Look for a nearby tree and make sure you don’t have a large vine growing up it. If so, cut the vine with an ax. The main thing I would worry about is if your chickens are scratching at the poison ivy and you pick up the chickens then you’ll get it.

Honestly, I think manually removing poison ivy is the way to go. I wear long sleeves, long pants, and heavy duty dish gloves (nitrile) that I bought on amazon. Don't touch your bare skin with your gloves--put your hair up so you won't be tempted to brush it out of your face if applicable. Pull as close to the base of the plant as possible and bag and throw out. I had a lot less problems with resprouting when pulling than when spraying. I've probably cleared an acre plus of solid poison ivy (I joke it is the state plant of MA). I just throw my poison ivy clothes and gloves in the washer and haven't had problems with either transfer of giving myself poison ivy and I'm wicked allergic but YMMV.

Honestly, I think manually removing poison ivy is the way to go. I wear long sleeves, long pants, and heavy duty dish gloves (nitrile) that I bought on amazon. Don't touch your bare skin with your gloves--put your hair up so you won't be tempted to brush it out of your face if applicable. Pull as close to the base of the plant as possible and bag and throw out. I had a lot less problems with resprouting when pulling than when spraying. I've probably cleared an acre plus of solid poison ivy (I joke it is the state plant of MA). I just throw my poison ivy clothes and gloves in the washer and haven't had problems with either transfer of giving myself poison ivy and I'm wicked allergic but YMMV.

Yes! Besides, dead poison ivy is just as irritating as live. And will your chickens be able to eat the sprayed foliage? Glyphosate is showing up in all kinds of food now that it is regularly used in the production of food.

Back
Top Bottom