Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What colour is this little cutie? Supposed to be gold laced.

Yes, looks more like golden laced. :) For example, here-s my silver laced & golden laced polish baby chicks. Gold one at the right. Of course, if you are not 100% sure from her background, she could be a mix.

I'd like to see if anyone here has mixed/grossed color polish chickens? I would like to see how they look like.

I have now golden laced and buff laced pullets and silver laced roo, I've been toying with an idea to hatch couple of eggs in the future with my super-broody silkie.

I have to say that I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE polish chickens, so far, they are my favourite creatures. Wacky, funny and surprisingly cuddly. My golden laced girl takes a nap everyday at my lap, and buries her crested head under my arm. I didn't know that chickens do that.

Here are my babies from my EE hen that brown and partridged and my pure Silver Laced Polish Roo.

Well one of my first four was panting so I assumed heat stress and so i mo ed up the lamp and then they seemed fine. One of my second group (group of 3) was failed to thrive. None of the other three had symptoms. The last one was a GL and I really thought that this one would cause it was almost 2 months old. Nope died less than a week later. Not sure why, I've never had this problem with my other polish. I'm really careful about strong smells and clean water too

Well one of my first four was panting so I assumed heat stress and so i mo ed up the lamp and then they seemed fine. One of my second group (group of 3) was failed to thrive. None of the other three had symptoms. The last one was a GL and I really thought that this one would cause it was almost 2 months old. Nope died less than a week later. Not sure why, I've never had this problem with my other polish. I'm really careful about strong smells and clean water too
I've always had trouble with my Polish. I've had them for four years, and they have much more trouble surviving then any of my other breeds. I don't think it's anything you're doing, unless I'm doing it too. They don't hatch good either, really low hatch rates compared to my Silkie and such. Right now I have eleven adult Polish...I recently lost three. It's just weird :-/

I have two
1f61e.png
. I really want tolbunts, but I'm nervous with having such a high death rate. Ironically the year that we had a ton of polish, only one does and we sold most of them thinking that we could just get more this year. That worked

I want tolbunts too! All I can find are hatching eggs, and since I can't seem to hatch polish I'm gonna be paying an arm and a leg for a few eggs and getting maybe one chick. Who will be alone. Consequently, I'm gonna have to do it all again in hopes that that one chick will complete my pair. So I'm hair not doing it for now. Really hoping some accrual chicks or chickens that are already hatched show up somewhere nearby. If snatch em up!

Last edited:
From all the reading on Polish they seem to be a bit on the delicate side. Don't beat yourself up - I'm sure you took good care of them. They are a sweet and delicate breed. I hate to see the sweeties in mixed flocks with people's aggressive dual purpose breeds - especially when there's only ONE Polish in the flock - so cruel to keep a single sweet Polish in a mixed LF flock IMO.

I've always had trouble with my Polish. I've had them for four years, and they have much more trouble surviving then any of my other breeds. I don't think it's anything you're doing, unless I'm doing it too. They don't hatch good either, really low hatch rates compared to my Silkie and such. Right now I have eleven adult Polish...I recently lost three. It's just weird :-/

Is there a possibility that the Polish vaulted skull has something to do with survival - and that it's not anyone possibly doing something wrong? Someone shared that their vaulted skull Silkies are less hardy than their non-vaulted Silkies - losing them at hatch, as chicks, and sometimes later as juveniles. Sometimes they get to 2 yrs old and then might suffer wry neck/star gazing, frequent head shaking, or seizure. I think Polish and vaulted Silkies are adorable but after I saw the open hole at the top of a vaulted skull skeleton I decided not to get any vaulted skull birds and went with the normal closed-skull Silkies. The exposed brain under the hole in the skull with only the thin layer of skin and feathers as protection scared me since other chickens have the nasty habit of pecking each other's heads and can do damage to the brain under a vaulted skull. I do love the Polish temperament and almost got one to add to my Silkies because they are gentle birds - but the skull changed my mind. I would be too devastated losing a sweet bird because of a pecking injury.

[COLOR=0000CD]From all the reading on Polish they seem to be a bit on the delicate side.  Don't beat yourself up - I'm sure you took good care of them.  They are a sweet and delicate breed.  I hate to see the sweeties in mixed flocks with people's aggressive dual purpose breeds - especially when there's only ONE Polish in the flock - so cruel to keep a single sweet Polish in a mixed LF flock IMO.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]Is there a possibility that the Polish vaulted skull has something to do with survival - and that it's not anyone possibly doing something wrong?  Someone shared that their vaulted skull Silkies are less hardy than their non-vaulted Silkies - losing them at hatch, as chicks, and sometimes later as juveniles. Sometimes they get to 2 yrs old and then might suffer wry neck/star gazing, frequent head shaking, or seizure.  I think Polish and vaulted Silkies are adorable but after I saw the open hole at the top of a vaulted skull skeleton I decided not to get any vaulted skull birds and went with the normal closed-skull Silkies.  The exposed brain under the hole in the skull with only the thin layer of skin and feathers as protection scared me since other chickens have the nasty habit of pecking each other's heads and can do damage to the brain under a vaulted skull.  I do love the Polish temperament and almost got one to add to my Silkies because they are gentle birds - but the skull changed my mind.  I would be too devastated losing a sweet bird because of a pecking injury.[/COLOR]

My SL Polish hen is the alpha hen in with a Barred Rock and RIR. I have plenty of LF breeds mixed with my Polish and they do just fine. I do know however they do have low hatch rates because of the vaulted skulls. Out 6 I set in may only one hatched. And she is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom