Political Ramblings

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm

Nothing to do with the current topic but....

Assault weapons ban.... kitchen knives......
roll.png

Last edited:
24% of 16 year olds carry weapons mainly knives. Oh really who would have thought? First its guns, now it is knives. Can never satisfy them.

Don't get too carried away guys. The article is about the UK where the public attitude to violence and the carrying of weapons in public might, in general, be different from your own.

The point being made is that pointed kitchen knives are not needed for preparing food but are increasingly used in violent crime. Seems like a fair comment to me. On the other hand, carrying long-bladed knives in public is already illegal so another law is unnecessary unless the A&E doctors are talking about violence in the home.

Gun carrying is not the norm over here so I can't see a problem in that. The knife ban would be just stupid, so the knife you stab someone doesn't have a pointed end its still going to stab someone.

Don't get too carried away guys. The article is about the UK where the public attitude to violence and the carrying of weapons in public might, in general, be different from your own.

The point being made is that pointed kitchen knives are not needed for preparing food but are increasingly used in violent crime. Seems like a fair comment to me. On the other hand, carrying long-bladed knives in public is already illegal so another law is unnecessary unless the A&E doctors are talking about violence in the home.
points are very necessary in certain kitchen tasks, including skinning, deboning, and creating precise curves and cuts. Also blunting the end could throw off the balance of a specific knife and change it's cutting ability.

Gun carrying is not the norm over here so I can't see a problem in that. The knife ban would be just stupid, so the knife you stab someone doesn't have a pointed end its still going to stab someone.

Why would anyone want to walk around with a pointed kitchen knife? I have never found a need for a knife of that type in the kitchen either.

Kitchen knives typically are weapons of opportunity. An alternative would be a sheath knife, but tou never know, there may be regulations about purchasing them in the U.K. That could be why kitchen knives are under scrutiny.

The whole approach to crime in the UK is flawed. They think the answer is in taking away things from the law abiding. The answer to crime is punishment and following through with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom