Pomeranian Goose Breed Thread

Such cute little baby dolls! Our Pomeranian gander has been single for about three years. It was smart of you to get two. As a gosling, Gussie was the sweetest little thing ever.

My aunt brought our first and only gosling home single, and that Gander is one of the meanest things you will ever come across.
He will literally throw himself at a shovel, and has attacked me twice. Let’s just say the only thing that kept our family from getting rid of him is the fact that he scares off predators.
We have a singleton gander as well but he’s a Chinese geese and super mean! 😂 He belongs to my mother and these two belong to my sister and I.

Ok if you have a lighter colored one it’s probably a male the darker colored the female also . You will notice the male putting himself between you and the female the male will come and follow you the female will follow him . Just notice the behavior spend time with them to bond you’ll quickly see behavior patterns . The males have quite the personality I hatched out two two more eggs in the incubator. Good luck .
The smallest does seem to be darker and the biggest lighter so I am hoping for a pair. The biggest one I got seems to be more loving than the other one.

My babes I hatched out ones a goose and gander I got lucky first time hatching goose eggs ! They 5 weeks old now and have quadrupled in size .

Attachments

• 674C8D1B-F5E8-40B6-8449-5DB387BEB7A3.jpeg
    674C8D1B-F5E8-40B6-8449-5DB387BEB7A3.jpeg
    881.9 KB · Views: 2
Welcome Bhonkers!

In the United States, we have two colors accepted by the A.P.A. the Buff Saddleback and the Grey Saddleback. Of the two colors variants, the Gray is a tad bit easier to find, although good quality birds of either color are difficult to come by (especially now that Holderread's has dispersed their flock of greys).

Their are also a couple of old style German heritage flocks in the U.S. that do not meet the A.P.A. standard. These birds come in white, grey, buff, and saddleback coloration/patterns. They tend to have much pinker bill, legs, and feet. To the best of my knowledge, both primary flocks are now held by private individuals who do not sell eggs or goslings.

According to the American Livestock Breed Conservancy, the Saddleback Pomeranian is critically endangered in the U.S.
Link to their page:http://albc-usa.org/cpl/waterfowl/pomeranian.html

This breed of goose was considered one of the best table birds in colonial times and used to produce smoked goose breast.

According to the International Waterfowl Breeders Association's Webpage, here are the standards for the breed:

Standard Weights
Old Gander.......17 lbs. Young Gander....15 lbs
Old Goose.........15 lbs. Young Goose......13 lbs.​

BILL: Medium in length, nearly straight, stout.
EYES: Large and rather prominent.
HEAD: Fairly broad, somewhat refined, crown somewhat flat.
NECK: Medium in length, moderately stout; carried upright.
BACK: Slightly convex; approximately 60% more length than breadth.
TAIL: Somewhat short, closely-folded, carried nearly level.
WINGS: Rather long with tips crossing over tail coverts. Carried high, neatly and smoothly folded.
BODY: Moderately long, plump, deep and meaty; keel not permissible. Paunch moderately deep, broad, single-lobed (a dual lobed paunch is a serious defect.)
BREAST: Plump, broad.
LEGS AND FEET: Lower Thighs- medium length, plump, nearly concealed by ample thigh coverts. Shanks- moderately long, rather refined but sturdy. Feet- toes, straight and well-webbed.​

What isn't mentioned above is that the eyes are blue, feet and portion of the legs pink to reddish orange, and a pinkish-red to flesh colored bill. Also, the colored "saddle" should appear like a heart type shape when viewed from above.

Here are my original birds, who were purchased from a private person in Mississippi last summer: They are an unrelated mated pair I named John and Jean after my parents.

Here are some photos are their offspring and some birds I purchased from Kawonu directly and via Celtic.

Tucker and Caboosh: My best marked juvenile goose and gander.

Mom, dad,and the four surviving spring babies...lol.

Juveniles from Kawonu's stock.

And finally, the last two to hatch from my pair's eggs this spring...on Mother's Day. Shaazam and Bazinga.

I have a total of 15 of them, all Buff, right now: My two originals, 6 of their offspring, and 7 from Kawonu's stock.
I have pre-ordered 12 eggs from another source in Iowa for the upcoming season and am going to attempt to buy some from Butch Gunderson, who is or was V.P. of the A.P.A: He raises both the grey and buff birds.
Fantastic I live in Mississippi also West Point I have two grey I hatched out of eggs from EBay . And 4 buffs I purchased from a guy in Eupora who got them from a reputable breeder up north. I’d like to purchase hatching eggs if you sell or ship them grey and buff . Thanks please pm me .

i have a gander and a goose who should start breeding next year. I’ll be separating them from my other two this autumn as I’ll be adding more Sebastopol and probably another Chinese but a female.. They’re both buff saddlebacks. The gander is on the left and the goose in front. 🙂

Attachments

• 28EB1F4B-C93C-4754-93C1-F1EC46C84AC4.jpeg
    28EB1F4B-C93C-4754-93C1-F1EC46C84AC4.jpeg
    610.4 KB · Views: 1
Alright, I'm gonna see if I can dredge this thread up from the depths here since I'm working on what should be (hopefully) my second spring with Goslings for my flock. I've had some real hiccups as far as trying to get breeding stock at all due to budget and also availability.

I personally prefer to work with the Buff coloration only, that's what all but one of my geese are. All of my geese are sadly hatchery quality, the main breeding stock I got from Privett, they aren't horrible but the coloration really needs some work. I did get some decent goslings out of my one pair, again, still needs some work but not the worst in the world.

My lone grey female (Sophie) is where things get a bit problematic. I've had her for 6 years, she's bonded to my oldest (and best-looking) Buff Male. (Klaus) For reference, they're about the same age, and while I've gotten fertilized eggs from them, she will not sit properly to save her life.

Seeing what @1MrsMagoo said earlier on this thread about color genetics has me a bit concerned because of the fact that now I have 3 buff females in with Sophie and Klaus for this spring. While 2 out of the 4 girls might not sit and hatch any, the younger 2 are from my hatch last year and their mother is a very very good sitter and mom. (She's again in with their dad).

In the other pen, I have last year's only mom (Bruni) in with her hubby, my younger gander (Max) once more since they did a great job with goslings last spring. He honestly is a fantastic dad now that he's gotten the hang of it and has learned to watch where he's putting his feet! But because one of his daughters suddenly became extremely boisterous about being as close to him as possible all the time, she (Helga) and one of her other sisters (Elsa) are in with him as well so we'll have some linebreeding going on. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice right now about that. I'm not going to split up a bonded pair when I have to get every egg I can out of them.

Currently, my first concern is breeding out more goslings, I'm working with what I have to see if I can improve at all as far as SOP goes. I'm going to see what happens and just keep crossing my fingers. That's all I can do right now.

I'll do my best to keep everyone updated as I go with my geese. I hope I can connect with others that might be more established/have had better luck with their Pom geese, especially if they have Buffs!

According to the livestock conservancy online breeders directory, the closest farm to me that has any kind of breeding stock is down in Hollywood, MD. So I may reach out to them to see if they still have Poms and what color, and just try to network a bit.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any clear pictures of what a single lobe should look like. I have seen ones where there is a clear single lobe along the keel of the bird, but also gees that look like they have a small cleavage in their paunch that are still called single lobe?
Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom