Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
Welcome ! This is a great web site and you will learn so much! Having a poop board and using PDZ with DE is the best way to keep the roost area clean and the run dry. Keep us posted on your coop, we love photos here on BYC!

welcome-byc.gif
Donna

Hi everyone, I'm one of Spoiled Chicken's (Trish's) earliest PDZ converts from this thread. Her use of PDZ on the poop board has really taken off, and helped so many (myself included) that I scooted over to her profile and gave her an "ovation". This is exactly why the powers that be at BYC created them...so acknowledge great idea's etc.

Just wanted to share, in case you wanted to do the same. :)

Here's the link to the Ovations, and how to do it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/699980/announcing-the-new-byc-reputation-system-ovations

Nono,

I nominated her for a educator recognition since her PDZ has helped me so much. I'll go give her an ovation as well! Thanks!

Hi Everyone
big_smile.png

Just wanted to say THANKS to Nannette, Donna, Amen Farms and everyone else for all the Ovations, nominations and kind words. I really appreciate it everyone so THANK YOU!!!!
woot.gif

Nannette- CONGRATS on your most awesome schoop- you did such a great job!!!
droolin.gif

And some seriously GREAT posts and pictures from everyone
clap.gif

Trish

Thank You, Trish, for this awesome information~
clap.gif

I read the first 20 or so pages awhile ago, but don't remember the answer to the following. Can anyone help me, please?

1. Does this work in some manner for silkie's who like to pile in a corner? ... Maybe make a bed of this?

2. Has anyone tried 18" or 20" for the width of the shelf under the perch for LF? I have std to smaller sized LF.

3. Does PDZ stand up to being outside, i.e. mixed in with woodchips in the run?

Thanks so much!!
smile.png

Love the coop! I also love the idea for the poop shelf instead of a board (which seems so difficult for the roosts we have - 3 rows of different heights). Our roosts are on a pulley so we can lift them up to scoop out the poop with a shovel, add more shavings and continue with the deep litter method. We had tried cardboard for our poop board for awhile but that was also a major pain (for hubby!) to remove.

Thank You, Trish, for this awesome information~
clap.gif

I read the first 20 or so pages awhile ago, but don't remember the answer to the following. Can anyone help me, please?

1. Does this work in some manner for silkies who like to pile in a corner? ... Maybe make a bed of this?

2. Has anyone tried 18" or 20" for the width of the shelf under the perch for LF? I have std to smaller sized LF.

3. Does PDZ stand up to being outside, i.e. mixed in with woodchips in the run?

Thanks so much!!
smile.png
1. should work fine with silkies, mine LF dust-bath in theirs.(silly birds) 2. I tried narrower width and had poop on the edges, DH made adjustments. 3. read the website about the product, they recommend it a a soil amendment, among other things.

Last edited:
1. should work fine with silkies, mine LF dust-bath in theirs.(silly birds) 2. I tried narrower width and had poop on the edges, DH made adjustments. 3. read the website about the product, they recommend it a a soil amendment, among other things.

Thank you, amenfarm!!

Love the picture of your donkey. :)

Thank you so much for this. My family and I are in the very beginning of our chicken journey and are just in the planning phase of the coop at this point. I've been trying to figure out the best way to deal with the poo. I was thinking of having a slide out box but this seems a lot easier, not to mention cleaner. We're planning on a 4x8 coop and I've been thinking about the layout. Now to do some reconfiguring! Thanks again for sharing!
smile.png

You have no idea how relieved I am to see this thread!!! I added a poop shelf with a mixture of Sweet PDZ, DE and sand a couple of months ago and can't believe how much easier this has made coop maintenance and how much better the coop smells. The problem was I kept coming in after scooping poop each day and raving about how great this addition was to the coop that my husband started thinking I was really losing it!
wink.png
After years of wasting a lot of time and money on cleaning out the whole coop every couple of weeks and replacing all of the shavings, I am sooooooooooooooooo glad I put in my poop shelf and now I know I am not alone in my enthusiasm about such a weird subject!!! Thanks so much to OP and to everyone else who has shared their excitement about this rather gross subject.
ya.gif

Last edited:
Got to agree with the Green Lantern. Have been using Sweet PDZ for a few months after one of my chickens was started laying an egg from the roost each morning. The egg would break and be eaten before I got out there in the morning. This solved my problem and made it easier to clean up the poop as well. Win ,win me thinks

Back
Top Bottom