Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
If you have room to do it, compost! You are throwing away wonderful compost. When done properly, compost has very little odor, and just smells earthy to me. There are a ton of threads about composting chicken litter/waste here on BYC. :)

You are right though-- raw poos would be too hot in terms of nitrogen to use under plants straight out of the coop. You need to compost/cook/mature it first. :)

You are right! I always feel so bad throwing it away. Maybe this year I will look into a spot for composting.

Thanks
highfive.gif

You are right! I always feel so bad throwing it away. Maybe this year I will look into a spot for composting.

Thanks
highfive.gif

Even if you cannot compost (I know not everyone has the space outside), you might be able to find someone that does compost, and would LOVE your nitrogen-rich chicken waste! Then you can get rid of it and not feel guilty... it's still going back to the earth that way. :)

Even if you cannot compost (I know not everyone has the space outside), you might be able to find someone that does compost, and would LOVE your nitrogen-rich chicken waste! Then you can get rid of it and not feel guilty... it's still going back to the earth that way. :)

My run is under part of the canopy of a large tree. I use wood chips in the run.

Will the "hot" droppings they do in the run end up killing or harming my tree? It's a very large holly tree and I am fond of it.

Thanks!
smile.png

Trish, do you have any opinions about using PDZ on a brooder after the chicks have been in there for 2 weeks? by then they will know what to eat and they still might eat some PDZ but it will work as grit for them. I am just wondering because I am getting chicks in Spring and I am researching for a bedding that will be easy to clean. I might use PDZ but I am not sure if it is safe in the sense that chicks might eat a lot of it and might cause some problems, although I read that some people use clean sand for mortar as bedding in brooders.
idunno.gif

My run is under part of the canopy of a large tree. I use wood chips in the run.

Will the "hot" droppings they do in the run end up killing or harming my tree? It's a very large holly tree and I am fond of it.

Thanks!
smile.png

It probably depends on how many birds you have, and a few factors such as rainfall rates, and if you (or the chickens) turn the wood chips frequently, etc.
Different types of trees use different root structures. Some have shallow root systems that span a large area, and others have deeper root systems that use less area. It might be worthwhile to see what type of root structure that your species of holly tree has, and it can help you determine if it is more or less susceptible to harm by your chicken droppings!

I can only speak from personal experience because I have not studied this at length, but I can tell you that the run-off from my run (I have 8 LF chickens) causes the grass to grow exceptionally well downhill, and does not burn it. If I had more chickens and if I did not rake the gravel and allowed a buildup of waste, it might be a different story. When I rake, I only turn the gravel and make it so that any droppings decompose more rapidly, instead of becoming compacted. I don't actually remove much, the way I do in my coop.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but I do hope it helps you! Fortunately trees and plants have ways of telling us if they are doing okay or not, most of the time, by the condition of the foliage.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of one of my poop boards (shown on left). It is exterior bead board the the painted side up. I will dust DE on the board from time to time to keep things dry. The boards are great space savers!! I utilize the space below the table/poop board combo with a hanging waterer or feeder.

It probably depends on how many birds you have, and a few factors such as rainfall rates, and if you (or the chickens) turn the wood chips frequently, etc.
Different types of trees use different root structures. Some have shallow root systems that span a large area, and others have deeper root systems that use less area. It might be worthwhile to see what type of root structure that your species of holly tree has, and it can help you determine if it is more or less susceptible to harm by your chicken droppings!

I can only speak from personal experience because I have not studied this at length, but I can tell you that the run-off from my run (I have 8 LF chickens) causes the grass to grow exceptionally well downhill, and does not burn it. If I had more chickens and if I did not rake the gravel and allowed a buildup of waste, it might be a different story. When I rake, I only turn the gravel and make it so that any droppings decompose more rapidly, instead of becoming compacted. I don't actually remove much, the way I do in my coop.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but I do hope it helps you! Fortunately trees and plants have ways of telling us if they are doing okay or not, most of the time, by the condition of the foliage.

Great info, thanks! Yes, I should look into my tree's root structure. That would be prudent. I have 5 LF and 3 silkies in a 10 x 12' run. The holly keeps it shaded some and protects against predators a bit.

Good news about your grass looking great downhill from it. That does speak to it not "burning" roots.

Thanks!!

I can't believe that I spent half the day reading 70+ pages about chicken poop.

Thank you so much everyone. I have learned a lot! My 8 baby chicks will soon live in a palace.

quote name="4stakes" url="/t/621363/poop-board-convert-warning-graphic-gross-poop-pictures/730#post_10540048"]Has anyone used PDZ in there brooder? With shavings or all by it self?
[/quote]

Yes, I used it with my last 2 broodies and their chicks. I moved the nest boxes into my 2 broodies coops. I ended up cleaning every day. The depth I used was 1 inch. It made a good surface for the chicks to walk on. I had to make a pad for the waterer to sit on. I used a patio stone and raised it up on brick. I suspended the feeder with a chain so that I could raise it as the chicks grew. I mixed it with sand and DE. The chicks and hen all did well. The hen in the picture is Julia my Frizzle Couchin bantam who was in the middle of her 9 month molt when she went broody and I put some of my Ameracuna eggs under her. The last picture is of my 2 level broody coop

[MG ALT=""]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/5548285/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom