Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
Hi Trish,

I have to add my thanks to the list, because I have switched from wood shavings to pdz in the tray that slides out of my Eglu-- I have a plastic eglu classic...and the Eglu has a deck above the slide out tray so that you can even slide out the tray while the chickens are in the little coop.

By replacing the wood shavings with pdz, I have a lot less bulk to scoop-- have yet to dump the entire amount there....do think of the zen sand raking experience with the kitty ltter poop scoop---and there is not any smell or flies... Not that there was before -- because if soiled you just dump the wood shavings and refill -- but the wood shavings add up fast. I think I only used about 1/3 of a 25 pound bag from TSC - they had the granules. It was easy before, and now it is even easier..... Your idea is pure genius.
woot.gif

I'm so glad you love it
big_smile.png

And THANK YOU for all your great posts on the Cream Legbar thread- I really enjoy reading them and learn so much from you
clap.gif

Trish

Poop board question. This is the biggest challenge in my coop design! My coop will be six feet long, four feet deep. I need to be able to reach into the coop to clean out the poop board and my arms don't reach in four feet deep. That means I will be able to have a three foot long poop board running along the four foot wall so I only have to be able to reach in three feet. I will have six birds.

I don't want to use up any of my floor space if possible. If I set up a two-tier three foot long ladder-type perch with 2x4s, wide side up, how far from the wall does the highest ladder need to be, how much lower and how far from the wall does the second lower ladder need to be, and how wide does the poop board that will run from the wall and into the inside of my coop under my ladder perches need to be? Is six feet of perch enough for six large birds?

I had seen someone post before that they line their poop board with newspaper and put a thin layer of sand and that powder stall cleaner stuff (can't remember name). They scoop up the poop daily with kitty litter scoop and put it in compost. Then every once in a while they fold up the newspaper containing the sand and throw it away and start the process over again. The newspaper makes it sound so easy to just fold up all the contents and dispose of them!

Lisa

We originally had plans to put a ladder roost in our coop. We even had it all built and ready to install, but after reading this thread I took it apart and built 'poop' boards. It looks alot nicer and should be easier to clean. Thanks for the ideas.

Six of the twelve girls went in last night. The other six should be going out in a week or so.

This is PERFECT! I am planning on building something similar. How tall is this coop inside from the top of the peak to the floor? What are the length and width of your coop? I'm planning on an 8x4, just not sure how tall to make it. I think being able to step inside to clean is important for me rather than reaching in to clean. I'm not getting any younger and can see developing a hatred for my coop if it is difficult to clean!

My Dad built our first (yes..we are getting ready for no. 2) chicken coop because my mom wanted to share the joy of chickens with her grandkids. Mom is 65 and just wanted us to all have that experience. She didn't remember that chickens pooped. We laugh about that a lot because they do poo a LOT! She also remembers a dirt floor so that might be why she doesn't remember chickens pooping as that would compost.

There is a flat area under the roost. We tried the cedar chips when they were little but the area seemed wet. We later went to using newspaper that we left for a week at a time and then added to the compost area which then was overflowing with paper bits. After doing some research and reading about other Chicken Litter Collection options, I found a product called Stall Dry at the local Orscheln's,. It has solved all our problems with the smell and especially the time it would take in the mornings to get the girls going. I wasn't sure if the girls would bother it or not but they just don't.

Stall Dry
This is a night picture when everyone has gone to roost this winter. We originally had 2 x 2 they roosted on but as winter came on, we found a pallet to cut down and lay over which has the 4 in width to sit on for their feet. The girls sit about 10 inches above the litter board and poop and sleep all night.

Morning from the same angle. The girls leave and go outside which allows me to take a kitty litter scoop and a bucket and get busy.

As you can see, the poop falls into a tray (and on the rails also) that has 4 inch sides and a few inches of Stall Dry.

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this VERY LONG thread. I think when I researched it finished around 65 pages but it still grows. I'll post other pictures of coup 2 when we are further along.

Denise

My Dad built our first (yes..we are getting ready for no. 2) chicken coop because my mom wanted to share the joy of chickens with her grandkids. Mom is 65 and just wanted us to all have that experience. She didn't remember that chickens pooped. We laugh about that a lot because they do poo a LOT! She also remembers a dirt floor so that might be why she doesn't remember chickens pooping as that would compost.

There is a flat area under the roost. We tried the cedar chips when they were little but the area seemed wet. We later went to using newspaper that we left for a week at a time and then added to the compost area which then was overflowing with paper bits. After doing some research and reading about other Chicken Litter Collection options, I found a product called Stall Dry at the local Orscheln's,. It has solved all our problems with the smell and especially the time it would take in the mornings to get the girls going. I wasn't sure if the girls would bother it or not but they just don't.

Stall Dry
This is a night picture when everyone has gone to roost this winter. We originally had 2 x 2 they roosted on but as winter came on, we found a pallet to cut down and lay over which has the 4 in width to sit on for their feet. The girls sit about 10 inches above the litter board and poop and sleep all night.

Morning from the same angle. The girls leave and go outside which allows me to take a kitty litter scoop and a bucket and get busy.

As you can see, the poop falls into a tray (and on the rails also) that has 4 inch sides and a few inches of Stall Dry.

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this VERY LONG thread. I think when I researched it finished around 65 pages but it still grows. I'll post other pictures of coup 2 when we are further along.

Denise

thumbsup.gif
Looks GREAT!

I am in the process of converting a dog house that is roughly 4x4 (a bit bigger than that), with a roof that slants from front to back. I'm not sure what the height is at the back, where the ceiling is lowest. My question is this: I would LOVE to have a poop board in there, but I am not sure how to manage it in a tiny space. Suggestions? Also, would it be more feasible to simply cover the floor of the coop/dog house with sweet PDF, and scoop as needed?

I am in the process of converting a dog house that is roughly 4x4 (a bit bigger than that), with a roof that slants from front to back. I'm not sure what the height is at the back, where the ceiling is lowest. My question is this: I would LOVE to have a poop board in there, but I am not sure how to manage it in a tiny space. Suggestions? Also, would it be more feasible to simply cover the floor of the coop/dog house with sweet PDF, and scoop as needed?

With that size I think covering the whole floor is your best bet. Some on here have done it and like it
big_smile.png

If you try let us know how it goes!

Trish

I cannot come up with a poop board design that will work for me. I am building an 8x4 coop that will be built off the ground. I will have two large four foot doors that open across the front of the coop and will have to reach into the 4 foot depth to clean. My poop board will run along the back 8 foot wall about 2 feet from the floor, with the perch 6 inches above it, which will allow 2 1/2 feet head room on their perch. I cannot reach the four foot depth comfortably (3 1/2' is a perfect reach). I know the poop board is the dirtiest part of the coop so I really want to be able to reach it well. Suggestions? Any design options I'm not thinking of?

I could leave a 1/2 foot gap between the poop board and the back wall, which will basically push the board closer to the doors so I can reach better. Is a 1/2 foot gap dangerous? I can picture a bird getting stuck. I only have 4 feet of width to play with. I had also thought of pushing the board a foot from the back wall, but that would give the chickens, looking up, an empty foot across by 8 feet, two feet of poop board across by 8 feet, a foot of empty space across by 8 feet above them. If I only had longer arms ... Thoughts??
Lisa

This post is endless with lots of great ideas! I will add ONE MORE... I use cardboard beer/soda flats under my roosts. You know the shallow cardboard holders for cans. I leave them in for a week or so [until they are disgusting, lol ] When its time to clean the coop, I pick up the flats and toss em in the compost, then replace them w/new ones. Easy peezy clean coop breezy!

Back
Top Bottom