Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
I cannot come up with a poop board design that will work for me. I am building an 8x4 coop that will be built off the ground. I will have two large four foot doors that open across the front of the coop and will have to reach into the 4 foot depth to clean. My poop board will run along the back 8 foot wall about 2 feet from the floor, with the perch 6 inches above it, which will allow 2 1/2 feet head room on their perch. I cannot reach the four foot depth comfortably (3 1/2' is a perfect reach). I know the poop board is the dirtiest part of the coop so I really want to be able to reach it well. Suggestions? Any design options I'm not thinking of?

I could leave a 1/2 foot gap between the poop board and the back wall, which will basically push the board closer to the doors so I can reach better. Is a 1/2 foot gap dangerous? I can picture a bird getting stuck. I only have 4 feet of width to play with. I had also thought of pushing the board a foot from the back wall, but that would give the chickens, looking up, an empty foot across by 8 feet, two feet of poop board across by 8 feet, a foot of empty space across by 8 feet above them. If I only had longer arms ... Thoughts??
Lisa

How about rear hinged doors where the boards will be? You can lift up scoop and run...same idea as those neat egg collection doors....

This post is endless with lots of great ideas! I will add ONE MORE... I use cardboard beer/soda flats under my roosts. You know the shallow cardboard holders for cans. I leave them in for a week or so [until they are disgusting, lol ] When its time to clean the coop, I pick up the flats and toss em in the compost, then replace them w/new ones. Easy peezy clean coop breezy!

If you try the scooping/PDZ method nothing ever gets disgusting.

The PDZ keeps everything smelling good- I can't imagine a cardboard box with a weeks worth of poop on it smelling good
sickbyc.gif

I found a video online. It was the inside tour of an 8x4 reach-in coop, which is what I am building. It has 8 feet of double doors that open in the back and two removable poop boards with perches attached that run along the back wall. I plan on mimicking the double doors and poop boards. If you google "inside tour of Daisy coop" you should find it. Very nice design. Thought I would share since I have been trying to come up with a plan that is easy to clean for days!

Thanks so much for your reply Trish. I just posted a thread about ow to build run with a pic maybe you could take a look when you get a moment, would love your input! Have a great day! Tams

Hi, 
I'm looking for help in designing a "dream" coop or barn for my daughter that will be a walk in and handicap accessible. Looking to have 3-3 breeding pens plus growout area(s). Please come over to this thread and share your insights.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/756086/top-tips-ideas-for-dream-coop-or-barn-handicap-accessible

All thoughts and ideas will be appreciated. .
Regards, Tina 

BTW, We currently use PDZ poop boards for our LF egglayers and LOVE them. Kudos to Trish for this fabulous idea.

Great.. bit of information..
I'm going to town tomorrow.. I have Orschlens and TSC.. looks like both have a similar product.. I plan to mix some with the sand that I already have in coop bottom.. ( more is better) as an ammendment.. to try.. The sand is already works pretty good.. however i need some thing to throw on the poo they leave on the steps.. like this am..
Once again .. I'm glad to have y'all posting all these different ideas.
thanks deb

Back
Top Bottom