Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
I am not sure about this poop board? Im a total newbie and have not moved my chicks into the coop yet but i never knew I needed one?

A poop board is not necessary, but it can make your coop much cleaner and nearly odorless (my coops just smells a bit like pine shavings). It also makes it easier to keep clean. It's one of those things that improves both our lives and the chicken's lives. :) But chickens can certainly be kept without one.

I like your idea of using PDZ on the poop board, but I do not have as wide of coop as you do. Could I do the same thing on the floor instead of a raised poop board. Couldn't I just section off a two foot wide area on the floor under the roost bar and fill it with PDZ. My plan would be to have the PDZ in two foot wide section on either side with a two foot section in the center with sand.

If I do this, would the raised lip (rounded) on the floor be an issue with the chickens landing from roost?

How much PDZ does it take to fill the board up and is there a source cheaper than Tractor Supply? Here, they sell it in 25 lb. bags.

Thanks,

Wayne

I can't believe I read the first 17 pages of this thread! I have to stop now because I don't have the time to read 60 pages more!

I'm a first time chicken person. We got our chicks 16 days ago (3 ISA Browns, 1 bantam & 1 Arucana (Easter-egger)). I'm building our coop now. Here are the plans (see below). It's 4'x4' with 4' high front wall and 3 1/2' high back wall. The nest box will be in the back wall external to the coop.

I'm going to do the poop board under the roost, but the board will have to be on the floor of the coop. I'll build 4" sides all around to keep the PDZ inside and the bedding out.

PDZ sells for $9.99/25 lbs at Tractor Supply and $14.99/40 lbs at Family Farm & Home. So FF&H is a better deal by 2-cents per lb, but I wonder how much I will really need???

Most important how do you store it so that humidity in the summer doesn't make it wet?

Here are some pics of my coop (in progress)

I do something similar also. I just push everything back, scoop and then rake it forward again. So easy!

I have to say that I was very happy with the PDZ this winter. We had a few bad snowstorms which limited my access to my coop. I was able to feed and water my chickens in their run through my basement door but the coop was snowed in. I didn't scoop anything for a couple weeks
th.gif
When I finally did get in there I was surprised to see everything was still contained nicely on the poop boards and no smell
woot.gif

And I had ZERO humidity problems! Scooping the poops out on a regular basis really cuts down on the coops humidity levels
yesss.gif

This is how my coops looked almost all winter
lol.png
Wow, what a beautiful snow fall! Nothing close to that here!
I can't believe I read the first 17 pages of this thread! I have to stop now because I don't have the time to read 60 pages more!

I'm a first time chicken person. We got our chicks 16 days ago (3 ISA Browns, 1 bantam & 1 Arucana (Easter-egger)). I'm building our coop now. Here are the plans (see below). It's 4'x4' with 4' high front wall and 3 1/2' high back wall. The nest box will be in the back wall external to the coop.

I'm going to do the poop board under the roost, but the board will have to be on the floor of the coop. I'll build 4" sides all around to keep the PDZ inside and the bedding out.

PDZ sells for $9.99/25 lbs at Tractor Supply and $14.99/40 lbs at Family Farm & Home. So FF&H is a better deal by 2-cents per lb, but I wonder how much I will really need???

Most important how do you store it so that humidity in the summer doesn't make it wet?

Here are some pics of my coop (in progress)

I keep my PDZ in it's bag with top turn in or twist tied, then it's inside the barn a few feet from the door. I have not had a problem with humitiy yet-crossed fingers--I think it would just dry right back out. if I do have any problem , I'll dump it in a bucket with a lid.

New to the chicken thing myself. thanks for all the info. i have read the benefits of sand, and i thought it was the way to go. but now i think PDZ sounds like the way to go. i did not read all pages, but the ones i did had no ill effects. i will have a small "tractor" type coop and the floor will be PDZ powder covered!!

how do i incorperate poop boards in my coop i am having one built and would like to try this out with the sweet pdz?

is it like a slide tray? or just a board on the floor?

Back
Top Bottom