Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
Our TSC only carries the sweet PDZ in 25# bags, but I got 2 of them so we're covered. I also read that it's safe if they eat it - big relief!

My husband is about to kill me - we spent over $450 last night between Lowe's and TSC for the pasture fence supplies, more chick grower feed, the PDZ, gate, and coop bedding (we're using equine stall bedding pellets instead of pine). They have red sex-link pullets at TSC last night that looked pitiful, covered in poo from vent to legs...he has firmly said NO to me going back for 6 of them. I think I'm going to sweet-talk him into it anyway, as I don't have any reds in my flock - I do have Aussies, Buff Orps, EE, and Black Giants.

Same here, I can't get it in more than 25 pound bags. I also hear you on the expense -- but trust me, in the long run, secure fencing and easy cleanup pay for themselves in peace of mind and ease of labor! It's so rewarding to have someone visit and say with surprise that my coop is very clean and without offensive odor-- it changes "non-chicken-people"'s opinions of these awesome birds pretty quick! You mean they don't have to be dirty, nasty animals?!
gig.gif

nice coop. if i had this coop i would put a roosting bar from one side to the other and nail it from the out side to hold it in place, then put the PDZ in one of those seed trays, under it. for clean up i would remove the tray or just scoop it out. if you place the PDZ on the floor of your coop that should not be a problem ether. just make a 'lip' so it dose not fall out when you open the coop.

i don't see any problems with the PDZ beening on the floor of the coops like jimmywalt. but i don't think i put it on the floor of a 'walk-in' coop. i like the poop broads because most of the poop is on it and not the floor. i hate DL (deep litter) because you have to walk on old poop,
sickbyc.gif

i heard bad things about using kitty litter. the chickens will eat it and get sick. (does anyone esle know about it)
Regarding the kitty litter, I think they meant putting the PDZ in the kitty litter box. I do this and it really cuts down on the kitty litter box odor (two cats). You're right about not using kitty litter in the coop as I'm sure the chickens would eat it and it would be harmful.

I'm confused because I thought someone had said they were using clay kitty litter along with the PDZ in the coop. I ran out of PDZ yesterday and had my daughter pick up a bag of kitty litter to get me by until I can get to the tractor supply store. I don't want to use it if it is going to be a problem though

I read this thread last night and realized that I just HAD to try it. For the past year I have used a board to separate the two sides of the coop, and then every week shovel out the side underneath the roosts. Not the WORST thing, as amazingly enough the chickens kept the non-poop side poop free! But when I saw this, well, I showed it to my husband, and first thing this morning he built it and we found the Sweet PDZ at Tractor Supply, and now we are sitting here, constantly looking out the window, to see if the chickens have gone in yet so we can see how well it works!

Thanks SOOOO MUCH for this fabulous idea! I will let you know how much I love it, but how can I not?

I read this thread last night and realized that I just HAD to try it. For the past year I have used a board to separate the two sides of the coop, and then every week shovel out the side underneath the roosts. Not the WORST thing, as amazingly enough the chickens kept the non-poop side poop free! But when I saw this, well, I showed it to my husband, and first thing this morning he built it and we found the Sweet PDZ at Tractor Supply, and now we are sitting here, constantly looking out the window, to see if the chickens have gone in yet so we can see how well it works!

Thanks SOOOO MUCH for this fabulous idea! I will let you know how much I love it, but how can I not?

Beautiful set up. It is the best thing ever and you won't believe how much easier clean up will be. I think it even keeps their little feet cleaner when they walk through it. Tomorrow morning you will see a little line of poops and all you have to do is scoop them up.

very nice ... I'm so going to do this. I'm still building my coop. If you don't mind can you take a shot after it's dirty? How do you know where they will sit? If they sit on the end board they will still miss the poop board, right?
thx

Did he use a 1"x4" or a 1"x6" for the sides on the boards that hold the PDZ in? It looks great!

Back
Top Bottom