Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
What are the measurements of your poo board? The measurements of your roost bars and the distance between them. We are starting our coop tonight so that would be great info to have. Plus how many birds do you have?
Thanks!

My coop is 8' wide x 12' long, and due to the studs, we had to work around them. We ended up with a poo board that is 26" wide x 7'5" long - made out of 1/2" thick plywood. I then used 1"x6" lumber, cut to length first, for the long side rails - screwed into the plywood board (the rails sit on top of the board, screwed in from the bottom for better strength of the overall structure). Then, we measured the width between the side long side rails and cut 1"x6" lumber to size, and screwed those into place.

Then came the mounting: We used some scrap pieces of wood to anchor to the walls where we wanted it - the height is actually at 31 7/8" from floor to the top of the rail, once we got it leveled. Then, we mounted the board, and measured 2"x4" studs to cut to length for support beams underneath the board, and attached them to the bottom of the board.

We used scrap pieces of 1"x6" lumber to fill in the "gaps" between the wall studs and the poo board railing on all three sides, to prevent birds from falling in (which happened the first night, an Aussie pullet got through) and attached those to the rails via screws. No more falling through!

Then, I cut the poultry fence (which I will later use hardware cloth of 1/2" size) to fence off the 2 sides of the separation/introduction areas underneath. When the aforementioned pullet fell through, I had to quickly remedy the fact that we ran out of time to make the doors - and that was done the following day. I need to upload the photos of the finished product. I attached the fence with 1/2" staples and nailed them in flush to discourage pecking and accidental ingestion of staples.

Finally, the roosts were repurposed from what we had before. Since our flock is, at best, 9 weeks old now - they were having trouble with 2"x4" studs. So we used 1"x2" for the time being until they get a little older, around 12 weeks. They measure 8' long and are anchored to scrap wood attached to the walls of the shed. One is at 26" high, the other is at 18" high and mounted to the floor of the poo board with a scrap piece of 1"x2" that's just wide enough to allot for a screw on either side of the support beam. Like I said, we'll be switching out the 1"x2" here in a few weeks for 2"x4" roosts and supports. I have all full-size standard poultry in this coop, so I'm aware they'll need stronger support soon. Their feet just didn't quite sit well on the 2"x4" and as such, they were roosting on the floor and in the nesting boxes of the coop...had to remedy that!

**Edited to add: Distance you asked between roosts is 8" high, and roughly 6" apart.

I'm scooping/sifting their sweet PDZ every morning when they "fly the coop" to go to pasture - no flies, no smell, very VERY little dust, and better for the compost pile next to the coop! I keep a 5 gallon bucket and a kitty litter scoop in the loft of the coop for easy access. That's also where I keep their grit and other non-perishable items...all the medicine and feed stays on shelves in my basement bathroom, where it's kept cool, dry, and mostly in the dark (no one uses that bathroom, it's not finished completely). I'll upload photos of the finished product here shortly from my mobile.

Last edited:
what is sweet PDZ? I really liked your board idea. am new - very new to having chickens and like them, but struggling with how to keep the coop clean or cleaner. Been cleaning it more than once a day - stupid, huh? I really needed an answer to what to do that's much more workable. thanks and the pics were wonderful. Your whole coop looks wonderful. :)

what is sweet PDZ? I really liked your board idea. am new - very new to having chickens and like them, but struggling with how to keep the coop clean or cleaner. Been cleaning it more than once a day - stupid, huh? I really needed an answer to what to do that's much more workable. thanks and the pics were wonderful. Your whole coop looks wonderful. :)

Sweet PDZ is a stall refresher/freshener - looks a lot like lightweight chick grit mixed with kitty litter. It's highly-absorbent, non-toxic to chickens (as well as other animals) if they eat it or roll in it or whatever...which makes it perfect for a poo board project as a means to keep the coops cleaner and reduce flies and other problems attracted to their waste. I got my idea from the original poster so I'm not taking any credit for the idea at all. The whole setup not only adds space to an existing coop, but also makes cleaning easier (I scoop their board daily when they go out to pasture in the mornings), gets rid of smell, is a cost-effective method of cutting down on bedding change costs, with no smell you get no flies or other problem bugs (or at least not as many!), and you can scoop their waste right out of the board, into a bucket, and dump it in your compost or garden for fresh fertilizer. Some folks on here have their flock's feed and water underneath the poo board, and some of us have little separation/introduction areas for injured/new birds/chooks or use it as storage. I've seen some that have nesting boxes protected under the boards....there's so much you can do with the idea!

This entire thread is about the implementation of Sweet PDZ as it relates to poop boards. There is great info and lots of ideas, I would start at the beginning of the thread (the first post), where Spoiled chicken first talks about it. It will give you the answers you're seeking. :)

My coop is 8' wide x 12' long, and due to the studs, we had to work around them. We ended up with a poo board that is 26" wide x 7'5" long - made out of 1/2" thick plywood. I then used 1"x6" lumber, cut to length first, for the long side rails - screwed into the plywood board (the rails sit on top of the board, screwed in from the bottom for better strength of the overall structure). Then, we measured the width between the side long side rails and cut 1"x6" lumber to size, and screwed those into place.

Then came the mounting: We used some scrap pieces of wood to anchor to the walls where we wanted it - the height is actually at 31 7/8" from floor to the top of the rail, once we got it leveled. Then, we mounted the board, and measured 2"x4" studs to cut to length for support beams underneath the board, and attached them to the bottom of the board.

We used scrap pieces of 1"x6" lumber to fill in the "gaps" between the wall studs and the poo board railing on all three sides, to prevent birds from falling in (which happened the first night, an Aussie pullet got through) and attached those to the rails via screws. No more falling through!

Then, I cut the poultry fence (which I will later use hardware cloth of 1/2" size) to fence off the 2 sides of the separation/introduction areas underneath. When the aforementioned pullet fell through, I had to quickly remedy the fact that we ran out of time to make the doors - and that was done the following day. I need to upload the photos of the finished product. I attached the fence with 1/2" staples and nailed them in flush to discourage pecking and accidental ingestion of staples.

Finally, the roosts were repurposed from what we had before. Since our flock is, at best, 9 weeks old now - they were having trouble with 2"x4" studs. So we used 1"x2" for the time being until they get a little older, around 12 weeks. They measure 8' long and are anchored to scrap wood attached to the walls of the shed. One is at 26" high, the other is at 18" high and mounted to the floor of the poo board with a scrap piece of 1"x2" that's just wide enough to allot for a screw on either side of the support beam. Like I said, we'll be switching out the 1"x2" here in a few weeks for 2"x4" roosts and supports. I have all full-size standard poultry in this coop, so I'm aware they'll need stronger support soon. Their feet just didn't quite sit well on the 2"x4" and as such, they were roosting on the floor and in the nesting boxes of the coop...had to remedy that!

**Edited to add: Distance you asked between roosts is 8" high, and roughly 6" apart.

I'm scooping/sifting their sweet PDZ every morning when they "fly the coop" to go to pasture - no flies, no smell, very VERY little dust, and better for the compost pile next to the coop! I keep a 5 gallon bucket and a kitty litter scoop in the loft of the coop for easy access. That's also where I keep their grit and other non-perishable items...all the medicine and feed stays on shelves in my basement bathroom, where it's kept cool, dry, and mostly in the dark (no one uses that bathroom, it's not finished completely). I'll upload photos of the finished product here shortly from my mobile.

Great details and thank you so very much for all the measurements. My Chick area of my coop is going to be 5x8 and I wanted to be able to put two poo boards across the 5 ft sides (one with a confinement area underneath for new babies, sick or bad chicks!) and the nest boxes under the other with an outside rear access for egg collection. So needing to have so much roost bar space was an issue. You helped solve that problem! I will be able to put a single bar across one poo board and a double bar across the other side with no trouble!

Thanks a million! Have a wonderful day!

I can't wait to see the rest of your pics of your finished coop. We are FINALLY starting ours this weekend!!!! I am hoping to have it finished by the time my babies arrive first week in June!

Great details and thank you so very much for all the measurements. My Chick area of my coop is going to be 5x8 and I wanted to be able to put two poo boards across the 5 ft sides (one with a confinement area underneath for new babies, sick or bad chicks!) and the nest boxes under the other with an outside rear access for egg collection. So needing to have so much roost bar space was an issue. You helped solve that problem! I will be able to put a single bar across one poo board and a double bar across the other side with no trouble!

Thanks a million! Have a wonderful day!

I can't wait to see the rest of your pics of your finished coop. We are FINALLY starting ours this weekend!!!! I am hoping to have it finished by the time my babies arrive first week in June!

You're very welcome! I finally got the newest photos uploaded. You can find the photos under the link "My Coop" under my name to the left. Good luck on your new coop project - it sounds like a GREAT concept, can't wait to see the pictures once you're done! :)

When I add new chickens, I always go out at dark and check where everyone is. If I find one not on the poop board roost....I take it from where it isn't suppose to be and put it where I want it. After a couple times of moving them.....they are where they belong!

Back
Top Bottom