Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
I had no idea this would be such a science to the design. Looks pretty cool. Anyone have any thoughts to a no floor method where the chickens do the composting with the droppings and leaf material?
Floorless is fine, stay far away from a suspended wired floor. it can and will cause bumblefoot.

LOVE this! I'd really like to give it a go, but after reading through 50-some-odd pages of posts, I'm still curious about whether or not the Sweet PDZ will clump in summertime is So. FL? We get 100% humidity some days and of course our coop is well ventilated because of this, no real doors (other than the chicken door)...any thoughts?

LOVE this! I'd really like to give it a go, but after reading through 50-some-odd pages of posts, I'm still curious about whether or not the Sweet PDZ will clump in summertime is So. FL? We get 100% humidity some days and of course our coop is well ventilated because of this, no real doors (other than the chicken door)...any thoughts?

We get really humid up here sometimes too, and I haven't experienced it clumping on its own. It only seems to stick to the chicken poo, and helps to dry it out. A lot of it falls off of the poo as I scoop it.

We get really humid up here sometimes too, and I haven't experienced it clumping on its own. It only seems to stick to the chicken poo, and helps to dry it out. A lot of it falls off of the poo as I scoop it.

Thanks so much! This is officially a GO then! Whoop whoop! We've only had our pullets 4 days and already, I KNOW this neat-freak needs a game plan! Thanks so much!!

No. It will not clump. South Texas we have been having some extreme humid days. It's still dry as powder.

Thanks so much! My husband is a medic/ firefighter too and appreciated your video! He immediately gave it a go and we purchased the materials today! I noticed you used sand in your run with the PDZ...was it the "Play sand" from Home Depot? Our coop is too small for poop boards so I think we'll tarp the floor and do the whole bottom...what percentage of sand would be too high to be effective? I noticed you used 10% PDZ? Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks so much! My husband is a medic/ firefighter too and appreciated your video! He immediately gave it a go and we purchased the materials today! I noticed you used sand in your run with the PDZ...was it the "Play sand" from Home Depot? Our coop is too small for poop boards so I think we'll tarp the floor and do the whole bottom...what percentage of sand would be too high to be effective? I noticed you used 10% PDZ? Thanks!
I just added some in case it ever started smelling. I"m not sure you need it, I think it helped. I bought the sand by the 1/2 yard. $16 for a half yard was a lot less then buying bags from HD. 1/2 yard is a lot of sand ... it's about all you want to put in a 1/2 ton truck.

In the poop tray it's 100% PDZ so I don't think there is a correct amount. Just how much you want to spend. The sand I got was called "double washed", not sure what that means but it looks like beach sand.

Thank you so much for all the helpful advice! I put down a tarp and put a sweet PDZ blend over the floor of the entire coop. I mixed one part sand, one part granular PDZ and one part powder PTZ...so far I'm LOVING IT!!!!! Cleaning it with an old wire colander...smells SO much better and no flies!!! Thanks so much for your post!

Thank you so much for all the helpful advice! I put down a tarp and put a sweet PDZ blend over the floor of the entire coop. I mixed one part sand, one part granular PDZ and one part powder PTZ...so far I'm LOVING IT!!!!! Cleaning it with an old wire colander...smells SO much better and no flies!!! Thanks so much for your post!
looks great ... I found the mesh trays at the office supply stores to be a perfect size for sifting. The sand and PDZ falls right out but anything over 1/8" get trapped.

Back
Top Bottom