Poop boards

Dumb question: what exactly is PDZ? I would love to be able to scoop poop every day and put it in the compost. I don’t have a drop board; I really need to make one

PDZ is processed zeolite (made from lava I believe) and sold as a stall freshener. I buy it at Tractor Supply.

Yes you should have a drop board. I use a large feed scoop, a small scraper and a mesh basket from Bed, Bathroom and Beyond. Poop gets scraped into the scoop and covered in PDZ grains while one does that, no poop sticks to anything. I drop scoop contents into the basket and shake it all about, majority of PDZ goes through the mesh and back onto the drop board.

PDZ will absorb something like 50 times it's weight in moisture (I could be wrong on the number but it is a lot). Natural substance and can go directly down a chicken's gullet or into your garden with NO ill effects.

Last edited:
PDZ is processed zeolight (made from lava I believe) and sold as a stall freshener. I buy it at Tractor Supply.

Yes you should have a drop board. I use a large feed scoop, a small scraper and a mesh basket from Bed, Bathroom and Beyond. Poop get scraped into the scoop and covered in PDZ granuals while one does that, no poop sticks to anything. I drop scoop contents into the basket and shake it all about, majority of PDZ goes through the mesh and back onto the drop board.

PDZ will absorb something like 50 times it's weight in moisture (I could be wrong on the number but it is a lot). Natural substance and can go directly down a chicken's gullet or into your garden with NO ill effects.
i like your process - the extra basket sifting prob saves you on having to add more PDZ as often! i try to sift it with a cat litter scoop, but some always ends up in the bucket, so there’s some waste (although it goes into the compost so not 100% wasted!)

@APKS thanks but not my process.

Credit goes to @aart (my pick for the Queen of BYC!!). Full of wisdom, delivered with no guff and, when needed, a gentle rap on the back of the head. Almost impossible to believe how often the pearls are delivered.

Yes do try the process. Get one of the BBB envelope trays, you will not regret.

@APKS thanks but not my process.

Credit goes to @aart
Here's how I do it:
Here's some posts about it, they're kind of old, but changes are noted.
...and the threads these posts are in has a ton of examples of poop boards.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-111#post-13179595
Updates:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-178#post-18966048

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/...ch-x-9-inch-mesh-drawer-organizer-silver.html

PDZ is processed zeolight (made from lava I believe) and sold as a stall freshener. I buy it at Tractor Supply.

Yes you should have a drop board. I use a large feed scoop, a small scraper and a mesh basket from Bed, Bathroom and Beyond. Poop get scraped into the scoop and covered in PDZ granuals while one does that, no poop sticks to anything. I drop scoop contents into the basket and shake it all about, majority of PDZ goes through the mesh and back onto the drop board.

Thank you. This is exactly the information I was looking for. Was nervous it was something that couldn’t go in my compost.

Would recommend vinyl for durability rather than linoleum. My flock tore linoleum to shreds in 6 months. After that I painted with Blackjack 57, 3 years later still looks new.

When I put linoleum down I used quarter round on the 4 edges, cheap and easy.
Hello! Just seeing this now. Thank you! What on earth is Blackjack 57? I like your advice to use vinyl vs linoleum but I would rather paint the wooden boards, actually. Can you scrape the poop off the Blackjack 57?

https://blackjackcoatings.com/products/black-jack-rubr-coat-57

You can take a metal scraper and jam it underneath the frozen poop ball until it comes off (sometimes can be a bi**h but mostly PDZ sticks to the poop).

After you have done this you might have a scratch. No biggie. One day when you are feeling ambitious clear the board and vacuum, add another layer. (DO NOT LET IT FREEZE BEFORE DRY).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom