Poorly chook

shelly yolko eg

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
Hi all any advise is welcome
My 6 year old chicken is looking in a bad way it started three days ago she was walking really slow so I picked her up and noticed how pale she was the comb was almost blue so I brought her in doors to warm her up a little but she has only eat what I have fed her I have gave layers mash however she stopped laying a year ago she has had next to no water today only what I have given I do have her booked in to the vet's font tomorrow but she has ate nothing on her own for three days not even meal worms and the pose in the pic is how she has been since last night and goes back to being very sleepy thanks for takin time to read this x

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry your hen is not well.

I'm glad you are able to see a vet tomorrow, hopefully they will be able to give you some answers.

At her age, there can be many things wrong. Internal laying/reproductive disorders like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, Salpingitis, cancer or tumors are common in older laying hens. Symptoms of any of these include going off feed, trouble walking, loss of balance, weight loss and trouble breathing. With her comb turning a bluish color, she most likely isn't getting enough oxygen. Egg masses/matter in the abdomen can cause swelling that can press on internal organs making breathing difficult.

Try to encourage her to drink - hydration is the most important.

Keep us posted.

I have just returned from the vet's and I found out she had a abdominal tumour so she was put to sleep while I was with her
1f622.png
thanks for your concern in this matter Wyorp Rock

Back
Top Bottom