Porcelain d'uccle thread

Here are pics of my girl... I guess she does have sort of long-ish blue colored neck feathers... but she's definitely a hen since I have watched her lay her tiny little eggs many times.

View attachment 1171865 View attachment 1171866

My little 7 week old booted porcelain D'Uccle, Sweetpea, has a comb but no wattle. I really hope is a hen. I would be so sad to give Sweetpea up.

My little 7 week old booted porcelain D'Uccle, Sweetpea, has a comb but no wattle. I really hope is a hen. I would be so sad to give Sweetpea up.
Here are my 12 week old pullets.

Attachments

• 908A7590-3E1D-4169-A7D3-E26CADEA6B72.jpeg
    908A7590-3E1D-4169-A7D3-E26CADEA6B72.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 514E67CE-E23C-400D-BDBD-437D6056D0B5.jpeg
    514E67CE-E23C-400D-BDBD-437D6056D0B5.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 7
Here are more pictures taken today of my 7 week old Sweetpea, that I sometimes call Chickpea.

View attachment 2317583
View attachment 2317585
View attachment 2317587
View attachment 2317589

The links are to short video clips saved to my Google Photos account.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fQEKuDi945nWXXYv9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SZGYEosDxGGUYLC16

https://photos.app.goo.gl/k39tVcYTs9ErKjZe8
Yeah...definitely a boy. There were pics of 12 week old pullets with smaller combs.

Last edited:
I just picked up this little girl who I'm told is 2 months old. She is the sweetest thing, just a cuddle bug. She's been through 2 homes because because she couldn't quite get along with the other chickens. Everyone seems to pick on her. In this last home she kept trying to get inside the house. She seems like a perfect fit for my house. She fits perfectly in my big bird cage. I only have one other chicken which is a Jersey giant that's 4 months old. It's also very gentle and sweet. They are a combination of inside and outside pets. I bring them in to roost every night and save their poop for my garden. My question is about their feathers on their feet. Is there anything I need to do as far as upkeep or anything I should know? Never had won this small.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1658367345234.jpg
    FB_IMG_1658367345234.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 2
  • FB_IMG_1658367323391.jpg
    FB_IMG_1658367323391.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 2
  • FB_IMG_1658367310030.jpg
    FB_IMG_1658367310030.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 2
  • FB_IMG_1658367301880.jpg
    FB_IMG_1658367301880.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 3
I just picked up this little girl who I'm told is 2 months old. She is the sweetest thing, just a cuddle bug. She's been through 2 homes because because she couldn't quite get along with the other chickens. Everyone seems to pick on her. In this last home she kept trying to get inside the house. She seems like a perfect fit for my house. She fits perfectly in my big bird cage. I only have one other chicken which is a Jersey giant that's 4 months old. It's also very gentle and sweet. They are a combination of inside and outside pets. I bring them in to roost every night and save their poop for my garden. My question is about their feathers on their feet. Is there anything I need to do as far as upkeep or anything I should know? Never had won this small.
That’s a rooster. He’s a Porcelain D’Uccle.
Foot upkeep is not necessary in most cases.

Yep, definitely a cockerel, Parentwarrior2. D'Uccle pullets have a tiny pale comb. You can see photos of my porcelain d'Uccle, Chickpea, that also turned out to be male.

My Chickpea was such a sweetie for about 9-10 months, then his hormones went into overdrive and he became hen crazy, and that made him start attacking me, so he stopped being sweet with me. I had to train him not to attack. At the time I only had standard size hens, which were too big for him, but he kept trying to mate with then. My Polish rooster, Bowie, tolerates him, even allowed him to try to mount hens right after he (Bowie) had mated with them. Unfortunately, after a few months of that, Bowie got fed up and all of a sudden started to attack Chickpea, and afterwards even some of the hens pecked him to drive him away from them. That let to Chickpea becoming depressed and stopped eating. I had to bring him into my apartment to try to nurse him and encourage him eat, but sadly he ended up passing away, despite all my efforts to save him. It's as if he had given up on life after getting ousted from the family he had grown up with.

Anyway, I hope your little d'Uccle cockerel stays sweet. Since you only have 1 other chicken, a large hen, there should be no problem. It'll be hilarious watching him trying to mate with the Jersey Giant.

Last edited:
Yep, definitely a cockerel, Parentwarrior2. D'Uccle pullets have a tiny pale comb. You can see photos of my porcelain d'Uccle, Chickpea, that also turned out to be male.

My Chickpea was such a sweetie for about 9-10 months, then his hormones went into overdrive and he became hen crazy, and that made him start attacking me, so he stopped being sweet with me. I had to train him not to attack. At the time I only had standard size hens, which were too big for him, but he kept trying to mate with then. My Polish rooster, Bowie, tolerates him, even allowed him to try to mount hens right after he (Bowie) had mated with them. Unfortunately, after a few months of that, Bowie got fed up and all of a sudden started to attack Chickpea, and afterwards even some of the hens pecked him to drive him away from them. That let to Chickpea becoming depressed and stopped eating. I had to bring him into my apartment to try to nurse him and encourage him eat, but sadly he ended up passing away, despite all my efforts to save him. It's as if he had given up on life after getting ousted from the family he had grown up with.

Anyway, I hope your little d'Uccle cockerel stays sweet. Since you only have 1 other chicken, a large hen, there should be no problem. It'll be hilarious watching him trying to mate with the Jersey Giant.
Darn, They assured it was a female. How noisy are they as a male? I bring them in at night so they're not outside. Maybe that will help to hide it. I live in a development. This is the sweetest thing ever I can not give it up. I just couldn't do it.

Darn, They assured it was a female. How noisy are they as a male? I bring them in at night so they're not outside. Maybe that will help to hide it. I live in a development. This is the sweetest thing ever I can not give it up. I just couldn't do it.
He will crow a lot. All day, any time he wants - it’s a myth that they only do so at dawn.
And he may not be happy with just one female. Young males are very very horny and hormonal in most cases - if he doesn’t have enough females he may find substitutes, such as your arm, your shoe, the TV remote…

It’s tough to keep young cockerels in a situation like yours, but it could be done.

He'll crow several times a day, at different times, day and night, unless he sleeps in a dark coop. But I don't think d'Uccles are as loud as standard size roosters. Cockerels/roosters also crow when scared and when an animal or someone they don't know comes near. I only had mine for a little over a year, so don't know if he would have mellowed out the way my Polish rooster did before he hit 2 years old. Didn't know that roosters would act like horny dogs that hump even inanimate objects. I've not seen that behavior.

Back
Top Bottom