Possum in the Coop!

Feb 20, 2021
Salem, Oregon
Ugh last night sucked, but it could have been worse. At about 4:30 am the chickens were freaking out. I went out there, and the first thing I noticed was that I could see all of my birds except for Nutmeg. Then I checked the nest area and there was a mother possum with three babies hanging on her belly, a pile of Nutmeg's feathers, and no Nutmeg. I was not happy. She's my favorite.

Jeffrey is our cockerel. He was in a major panic and he was fumbling around in the dark like a drunk. I examined him and he's fine, he was half asleep. He usually sleeps next to nutmeg and the other two pullets the same age.

I took all the chickens out of the coop and put them on the porch in a dog crate. The possum would not move and I didn't want to shoot it, since we are in a neighborhood, so I assumed Nutmeg was dead.

This morning after my husband, Joseph, went outside to start his car, he rushed in and called me to get up and come out front. I figured the possum was out there or that someone had broken into the car because he sounded urgent.

Nope, it was nutmeg, roosting on the rear window wiper of the Jeep. She has some feathers missing but no bites or scratches.
IMG_20220326_074308315.jpg

IMG_20220326_074213375.jpg

"You want to put me back in there?! I don't think so."
At 7:15 the possum was still in the chicken coop, but I went out to check at 7:45 and she is gone. Now, normally, I'd be annoyed that she stole my breakfast, but I still have Nutmeg so I don't really care about the eggs. 😂

Time to troubleshoot my coop and fix the breaches in security, because
1) A possum came in.
2) A chicken got out (although it was a good thing she did escape in this instance)
3) the possum got eggs, with no consequences, and she knows where to get a bigger snack if she is so inclined.

I've had no issues for three years so I'm guessing somewhere there is a broken board or some wire that has rusted apart and is causing a way in or out.
I also do know that the front gate sags open at the top.
Anyway I better get to work, I have a camping trip tonight and I don't want to leave them without feeling like I've done what I can to protect the chickens.

Nutmeg is gorgeous!!!!! What breed?
Thank you! She's still growing in her adult feathers. Up until a week ago, her head was solid black.
Nutmeg is an Easter Egger-mosaic mix. Both her parents are Easter Egger-Mosaic mixes. The mosaic isn't a recognized breed yet. It has silkie in the ancestry but there are some other breeds involved as well that I can't remember off the top of my head.

The wife will not , to this day , go into a chicken house , and we don't wanna be in the same room with her and a mouse or rat .

Background - Story

When she was 4 or maybe 5 years her dad ask her to go gather the eggs . She came back without eggs and announcing there was a big rat in a nest . You guessed the remainder of this possum story .

Thank you! She's still growing in her adult feathers. Up until a week ago, her head was solid black.
Nutmeg is an Easter Egger-mosaic mix. Both her parents are Easter Egger-Mosaic mixes. The mosaic isn't a recognized breed yet. It has silkie in the ancestry but there are some other breeds involved as well that I can't remember off the top of my head.
Wow!!! That is amazing!!!! I honestly can’t say how beautiful she is!!! I’d say she is the prettiest hen I have ever seen!!!!!

The wife will not , to this day , go into a chicken house , and we don't wanna be in the same room with her and a mouse or rat .

Background - Story

When she was 4 or maybe 5 years her dad ask her to go gather the eggs . She came back without eggs and announcing there was a big rat in a nest . You guessed the remainder of this possum story .
Oh no! Is she mortified for life now?

I've seen possums a lot growing up out in the country but my first intro was seeing one in a live trap when I was that age. They're not particularly scary to me. Skunks are a different story. I don't ever want to get sprayed! Raccoons, I'm also not a fan, since they will tear apart several chickens in one night and when they're threatened they sound like demon babies

Wow!!! That is amazing!!!! I honestly can’t say how beautiful she is!!! I’d say she is the prettiest hen I have ever seen!!!!!
Thank you! I think the color is technically called silver duckwing but I'm not sure.

Edit* I corrected the word sucking to duckwing. Autocorrect struck again I'm afraid haha

She could also be silver quail. Since she's a mix she kind of has a mystery pattern.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom