Possum Round 2

mhaines4102

Songster
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Stroud, Oklahoma
So just 10 days ago or so, we had a possum in the silkie house. When I tried to get my dog to attack it or bite it or bark at it, he wouldn't do anything. Now admittedly, it was already dead. So, I spent about a half an hour (at 1:30AM) in my PJs, no shoes on, throwing the possum around, growling at it, and throwing it on the dog. (Crazy neighbour Jethro take 1.) Finally, he got into the act, but it took a while.

So tonight I hear him barking. It is a different bark, I know something is up. Sure enough, next to my cage holding my little chicks and my meat chicks is another possum. He is eating food off the floor. Thank goodness I have latches on the cages. The dogs could not get to it, because I have an underground fence that will not let them in the shop.

I had shot it from a ways back, but I just wounded it. I cut off the electric fence so the dog can get in and bring him in the shop. I had to get stuff out of the way, but when he saw the thing, it hissed, bore all its teeth and BAMM. I was amazed. Jake (the dog) freaked out. I will leave it at that. Good protector dog. Good boy. Chickens safe. WOW, a switch flipped somewhere! That was pretty amazing.

Me and Jake.
13675_02-19-07_1254.jpg

Vicious huh?
13675_07-25-06_1523.jpg

Caution on possums. They have a small brain and pass out easily, only to revive later after you`re gone( as in sitting there hissing at you when you open the garbage can the next morning or dissappearing all together). Ive had them torn up by the dogs, shot, and clubbed, and still come back to life. Best way to be sure is to put the carcus in a pen and throw it out the next morning.

By the way, is Jake an American Bulldog, or a White English Bulldog? I don`t ever seem to be able to tell them apart. Good dog.......Pop

I had my first possum in the chicken run tonight.
99% of the time, I don't like killing animals if it's not for food.

A possum is in that 1% exception to the rule.

I went in the fence and he climbed to the top of the 6 foot fence, but couldn't get out because I have the top covered by deer netting. I have no idea how he got in to begin with.

I grabbed a shovel and knocked him down, then beat him in the head with the shovel.
He was twitching and jerking, so I hit him a few more times to put him out of his misery.

I hauled him out of the run, and knowing how possums like to play possum, I gave it a few more whacks to the head just to make sure.

I went back out a couple hours later to check on the chickens, and that darn possum was gone!

Next time, I won't stop short of decapitation and burial.

Good dog! lol. A good thing to do to try and deture opossums is to get a 55 gallon drum with the top cut out and tape a trash bag over the top (just a little to keep it tight) then open a can of sardines and set them in the middle. He goes to grab them and falls in.

While most folks choose to eliminate the possums, I choose to let them hang around. They are wonderful at cotrolling the Rat population. I prefer to have a few harmless possums around and no Rats.

If you do discover you have Rats, you will prolly wish you had a possum?
idunno.gif

I'm out numbered here, so go easy eh?
hide.gif

~ bigzio

Back
Top Bottom