Post here if you DON'T wash clean-looking eggs

If the egg is dirty I wait and wash until I am ready to use the egg. If it is clean it goes in the fridge...I wouldn't mind keeping them out for display but my kids love to pick up the eggs and I don't want any to break.

I've never washed ours either. I read in one of the farming mags that if the water was too warm, or cool (
idunno.gif
I can't remember which) it would actually suck the bacteria from the shell inside the egg, or some such thing. It sounded complicated so I figure I'm better off leaving them alone, luckily they almost always come out of the nest box nice and clean
big_smile.png
My parents also think eating our own eggs (well our chickens eggs...) is gross... I don't know if it's the 'too close to home' part that bothers them or the fact that we have a rooster, yet they never complain about staying for dinner and I use our eggs for everything, I bet they haven't thought of that yet
gig.gif
And I LOVE that egg Skelter, now I have to go order one!!

Quote:
If you wash them, the water needs to be no more than 10° WARMER than the egg itself. If you use colder water, the egg white will contract, therefor drawing whatever little nasties that might be on the shell through the pores... Don't want that!
BTW the egg skelters are cool but a little pricey.

I don't usually wash. However, I have ducks and chickens together so especially during the winter the duck eggs and occasionally chicken eggs can be pretty dirty. If I'm getting plenty of eggs I feed the worst ones to the dog and then wash the worst offenders. I see many feel the bloom provides some magical protection to eggs and should never be tampered with. I'm not of that opinion.

I don't wash eggs when putting them in the fridge. I've never had an egg with poop on it either. Maybe a feather or two. I do wash and dry just before cracking the egg to eat.

Oh I never wash my eggs for the very reason that they have a natural antibacterial barrier on them when laid. If they are stuck with some ppop on them i might just use light sand paper to sand it off and I use that egg right away either for the household or hardboil and give to back to girls.

Back
Top Bottom