Post here if you DON'T wash clean-looking eggs

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

If you must wash use water that is at least 20 degrees warmer than the eggs themselves. Dry well and refrigerate. Have you figured out why the eggs are getting so dirty? That would be my first action is to find out why they are getting so dirty and correct that problem if at all possible.

I don't wash my eggs. If there should be one with poop on it, I keep that for our use, then clean it just before use. Now that's it rainy out I do get a few with dirty toe/foot prints; those I clean off with a damp paper towel before giving them away, otherwise I don't clean them until just before use.

I don't wash clean eggs. I agree that you don't wash off the bloom to keep eggs fresh longer. Nature's way.

Quote:
I completely agree....mine are kept in an egg basket I weaved myself on the table or counter. The only time I keep eggs in the fridge is if the temp gets the house hot..I normally keep the house about 68' - 72'. I learned this from BYC! Many people do not refrigerate their eggs. Some of our members live on boats and do not put them in the fridge. Our eggs are used within two weeks. I always rotate them to be sure none are older than that. Google that here in the upper right hand corner under the blue menu band on byc for yourself

I refrigerate mine because I sometimes get so many that it takes us weeks to use them up. I've never had to toss eggs for going bad and sometimes they've sat in the fridge a solid 2 months.

They last like a month on the counter from what I understand.

I dont wash them either way though...though I do let people know that if/when I give out eggs so they can make a decision themselves on it as some people are iffy on that.

I never wash or refrigerate my eggs either. If they are extremely dirty (my girls are all new layers and a few haven't gotten the hang of the nest box yet so they lay them on the coop floor
roll.png
) they get a quick wash and into the fridge for me to use for quick cooking.

Back
Top Bottom