Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Quote:
The biggest Buff did not get DQ'd. But he did not win BV either. He did finish #1 Buff cock.. The winning BV was a Buff pullet. She had a nice even color. A Buff cockerel from Fred took RV. Again not as big. The same Black pullet which won Chamo English at the Central Indiana Poultry Show got BV for Black. Terry Disney's Black which got Reserve English at the Central Indiana Poultry Show was 5th best Black pullet outta 13. Only one White Orp which was a hen. There was around a half dozen Blues. Only one Blue cock and he had a bit too much Black on his back. I am downloading pics here soon and will post.
My only quality finish was not really a finish. Since he was the Brown Red. He did turn a few eyes. Seen Kathy and Beth. Both were very nice to meet in person. OSUMAN Jon Alden too. Met a couple of legends in the breeding world. Tom Kernan and his flat out spectacular Blue and Black Blue Sumatras. Tom is now doing Blue Ameraucanas. He repeated what he had said in one of his articles in proper breeding for Blues far as Lacing goes. A very nice guy. Seen Rolland Deorr and his huge selection of waterfowls. His geese are just huge. I am not allowed to have geese or I would jump all over some. Give me a little bit to settle back in and I will load up some pics. HAD A GREAT TIME EVEN THOUGH I GOT OR MY BIRDS GOT CRUSHED!!

Last edited:
Quote:
The biggest Buff did not get DQ'd. But he did not win BV either. He did finish #1 Buff cock.. The winning BV was a Buff pullet. She had a nice even color. A Buff cockerel from Fred took RV. Again not as big. The same Black pullet which won Chamo English at the Central Indiana Poultry Show got BV for Black. Terry Disney's Black which got Reserve English at the Central Indiana Poultry Show was 5th best Black pullet outta 13. Only one White Orp which was a hen. There was around a half dozen Blues. Only one Blue cock and he had a bit too much Black on his back. I am downloading pics here soon and will post.
My only quality finish was not really a finish. Since he was the Brown Red. He did turn a few eyes. Seen Kathy and Beth. Both were very nice to meet in person. OSUMAN Jon Alden too. Met a couple of legends in the breeding world. Tom Kernan and his flat out spectacular Blue and Black Blue Sumatras. Tom is now doing Blue Ameraucanas. He repeated what he had said in one of his articles in proper breeding for Blues far as Lacing goes. A very nice guy. Seen Rolland Deorr and his huge selection of waterfowls. His geese are just huge. I am not allowed to have geese or I would jump all over some. Give me a little bit to settle back in and I will load up some pics. HAD A GREAT TIME EVEN THOUGH I GOT OR MY BIRDS GOT CRUSHED!!

Bill find me tomorrow at the faverolles table.

Quote:

Bill find me tomorrow at the faverolles table.

Okay. I seen your daughters Buff girl over in the Junior show. VERY NICE!

Aw. Thanks. I was wanting some opinions on her. I love her. But seeing a pocture and seeing the real bird is totally different. Wish they would have finished the judging over there. I think the only thing they didn't judge was the orps and australorps!

I'll be around. Saw John but I had met him at Ohio national last year so knew his face. Met Christina and a few others. Never caught mr. Fred when he was not busy. Visited with him I guess at Shawnee last year. Super nice guy! Ready for tomorrow when I have time I look closer at orps. Today was just SO busy. See you tomorrow.

Quote:
I was just having a blast. Met Kathyinmo. I guess she had talked to Jon Alden and Jon said I was the guy in a red hoody, but I went home and came back as the little green man and was able to be unfound till near 5pm and then she caught me watering my babies. lolol Also met Beth and she did not know till after the fact I was the infamous 'lildinkem". Seen her looking over my Brown Red and was with a fella and explainging what he can expect by crossing a Buff onto a Black and all the fun that can pop out.
I'll be there tomorrow. the UOC meeting is at 10am. Be there!!!

Quote:
I was just having a blast. Met Kathyinmo. I guess she had talked to Jon Alden and Jon said I was the guy in a red hoody, but I went home and came back as the little green man and was able to be unfound till near 5pm and then she caught me watering my babies. lolol Also met Beth and she did not know till after the fact I was the infamous 'lildinkem". Seen her looking over my Brown Red and was with a fella and explainging what he can expect by crossing a Buff onto a Black and all the fun that can pop out.
I'll be there tomorrow. the UOC meeting is at 10am. Be there!!!

Yesserie! I met Wild Bill today!

Quote:
Bill, Thanks for sharing the pics of these splendid looking large fowl. Whoever Fred is unless Fred L.? who used to show whites? Anyway, weights. Too small; 2 points each for the first two pounds, DQ if more than two lbs. under. Too large? (No such thing! LOL) No cut for the first pound. 2 points for the second and more than two lbs. over to DQ. Considering how so much of exhibition poultry has gone size wise it seems near impossible for me to consider that something is too big. Besides, I can SAY something weighs whatever I want. Weight to determine decisions would have to be determined by weighing at the show at the moment and that ain't gonna happen. There's also the discussion that could be had about weight being a true indicator of size. Two identical looking birds can weigh up very differently. One is a brick and the other is a balloon. Even if found by actual weighing to be "too big" I had take a big, active typey bird full of breed character any time. Sometimes we need to step back and figure out for ourselves if we are breeding for the show pen or for the breed. Dave

Bill Glad your having such a great time..Hope you get some mor pics for us...Wondering how faulkners made out with thier goose, and maran..think hes blk copper maran..not sure what elese they took out..Im not as familiar with the buffs..How did doug acres make out..every single issue of poultry press he is in there with a large buff hen looks like the hen in your avatar for being grand champion english...and also champion LG FOWL...in the last issue of PP was doug acres and his buff hen every page...he really hit the circut with her..ohio, indiana, ill, lord he won every show with her..super nice hen..

in the pics she looks correct to SOP..just dying to see her color ect...

Quote:
Bill, Thanks for sharing the pics of these splendid looking large fowl. Whoever Fred is unless Fred L.? who used to show whites? Anyway, weights. Too small; 2 points each for the first two pounds, DQ if more than two lbs. under. Too large? (No such thing! LOL) No cut for the first pound. 2 points for the second and more than two lbs. over to DQ. Considering how so much of exhibition poultry has gone size wise it seems near impossible for me to consider that something is too big. Besides, I can SAY something weighs whatever I want. Weight to determine decisions would have to be determined by weighing at the show at the moment and that ain't gonna happen. There's also the discussion that could be had about weight being a true indicator of size. Two identical looking birds can weigh up very differently. One is a brick and the other is a balloon. Even if found by actual weighing to be "too big" I had take a big, active typey bird full of breed character any time. Sometimes we need to step back and figure out for ourselves if we are breeding for the show pen or for the breed. Dave

thats interesting..Im wondering if that is based in amount of food for the table thought. more meat avail?I have no idea what the judges think on that..I know on certian breeds they are bit more strict..I did see it written on an aussie card a couple years ago, over standard weight and needs tighter feathering, I think that was a polite way of saying ..too much orp bred into . work on these things. .there are also bantams that a stubb is considered just a fault not a DQ..must have to do with the breed.. I have one bird that is indeed heavy and one that is big but a baloon..at the last show we went to , I knew the breast quailty was very good on both but one was heavy...thou he will never be on anyones table, he would make an impressive plate full..he'll be shown a couple more times then retire to enjoy life in the orchards and vineyard..we are building high fences with dig proofing around outside of fence..replacing the older fence.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom