Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

I don't have a problem with you posting it all.  It is a great picture and exemplifies great breeding and the friendliness of Orpingtons.  I figured that you had just gotten mixed up when you said the picture belonged to Vickie, which it doesn't.  I just stepped in to give Tonea credit for the photo.  I knew Vickie didn't think that was her photo either so I just wanted to bring it to your attention.  
Thing is, I never remember seeing Tonea posting it. Though I'm probably mistaken. But I do remember Vickie posting it. I knew it wasn't technically Vickie's but had no one else to credit it to! At least you get the point. A well bred breeder Buff Orpington is indeed a great companion and chicken to have around kids.

Thing is, I never remember seeing Tonea posting it. Though I'm probably mistaken. But I do remember Vickie posting it. I knew it wasn't technically Vickie's but had no one else to credit it to! At least you get the point. A well bred breeder Buff Orpington is indeed a great companion and chicken to have around kids.
A well bred Buff Orp is truly a joy to not only look at but also to be around whether a child or adult...anymore, I just do not feel the need to deal with any bird that's not docile and calm...life is too short when in this case, one really can have it all with a Buff Orp!!
wink.png

A well bred Buff Orp is truly a joy to not only look at but also to be around whether a child or adult...anymore, I just do not feel the need to deal with any bird that's not docile and calm...life is too short when in this case, one really can have it all with a Buff Orp!!;)  
So true! Even my rooster - he has never, ever given me a reason to distrust him. Never. Whether around strangers and even small children. He'd never hurt a flea.

Saddles worked out really well!

Two of my roosters are quite passionate with their favorite hens, which left their backs almost completely naked, and one of which was turning red. Also, being in the molting season made it worse.. I filed, and rounded the tips of the roosters' nails but was not any help at all. I could not separate them because due to predator problems, need the roosters to guard the flock, where they fabulous guards and protectors.
Finally, decided to make some saddles which I have heard comments about; did not think it would work; but, out of desperation decided to give it a try. Well, I am happy to say that; they do work miracles!! They had the saddles on for more than two weeks now, and their new feathers are pinning out. I am thankful to the person who came up with this wonderful creation: chicken saddles!!

Lual

Last edited:
Saddles worked out really well!

Two of my roosters are quite passionate with their favorite hens, which left their backs almost completely naked, and one of which was turning red. Also, being in the molting season made it worse.. I filed, and rounded the tips of the roosters' nails but was not any help at all. I could not separate them because due to predator problems, need the roosters to guard the flock, where they fabulous guards and protectors.
Finally, decided to make some saddles which I have heard comments about; did not think it would work; but, out of desperation decided to give it a try. Well, I am happy to say that; they do work miracles!! They had the saddles on for more than two weeks now, and their new feathers are pinning out. I am thankful to the person who came up with this wonderful creation: chicken saddles!!

Lual

saddles on my hens dont work...they are so fluffy on their backs the saddles just roll up and when the rooster hops on his feet go up in under them any way...so I dont even fool with saddles I just try my best to have enough hens per rooster and I never keep an aggressive rooster so far I have had fairly good luck with doing that...I have one hen so far that is beginning to loose feathers but I do believe that is because her feathers are extra loose/fluffy on her back more so than the others which have every little to no damage.

Oh I hadn't thought about the snow yet! This will be my 1st winter, & my chicken's. Do they wander around pecking the ground all day when it snows too?? Lol

They sure do..

Hello all! I am a bit new, and would like to get a Buff Orpington, but was curious to all of your thoughts regarding rumors I have heard of an "Americauna" version that is slightly smaller... thoughts? To be honest, I am leaning toward the standard Buff Orp-but I have two young children (3 and a half, and 2) and want to be sure that they will be comfortable interacting with the hens. The children are both very gentle, and used to dogs, but not chickens.

Thank you all so very much. What a great community BYC is!
I only have a few American bred Orpingtons left and mine look a little smaller. The feathers are tighter to the body. The English Orpingtons are more docile to humans, have fluffier feathers and look larger. I trust my Orps with children, but I do not let them hold them and never with out supervision. Even the most docile bird can scratch when they want to leave.

Back
Top Bottom