Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Life with Orpingtons is much less than boring. When the hens started to lay eggs, two of my cockerels developed a habit of going into the nest box sitting in there with the hens while laying eggs. I thought as they mature, they would give up this habit, and behave like roosters. Well, I was wrong!

Lately, when I look into the nest boxes all I see is one huge round bird with two heads, and the hens doesn't look that happy. They were in need of larger boxes..I was happy that the feed store was selling LF boxes with 3 compartments, and bought one. They looked big enough until I came home and carried it inside. It was only an inch wider! They build special order ones for turkeys, but, quite pricey. So decided to build my own. Took me all day to make a 72" box. Next morning, when I saw all the compartments filled with birds was a delightful feeling. Now they look like 2 bids sitting next to each other rather than 2 headed birds : )

Lual, NICE nest boxes!!! I am so impressed that you built them yourself. What a nice 'rainbow' gathering of eggs too--eye candy deluxe
smile.png

I got them from Jim and Patti Zimmerman of Kansas. They do a lot of showing and have had these Buffs for years. The male is really big. They are both about 7 months old. Thank you for your comment.

Scott

My Babies….
love.gif
Beautiful Partridges

Life with Orpingtons is much less than boring. When the hens started to lay eggs, two of my cockerels developed a habit of going into the nest box sitting in there with the hens while laying eggs. I thought as they mature, they would give up this habit, and behave like roosters. Well, I was wrong!

Lately, when I look into the nest boxes all I see is one huge round bird with two heads, and the hens doesn't look that happy. They were in need of larger boxes..I was happy that the feed store was selling LF boxes with 3 compartments, and bought one. They looked big enough until I came home and carried it inside. It was only an inch wider! They build special order ones for turkeys, but, quite pricey. So decided to build my own. Took me all day to make a 72" box. Next morning, when I saw all the compartments filled with birds was a delightful feeling. Now they look like 2 bids sitting next to each other rather than 2 headed birds : )

Beautiful eggs

x

Here are the pictures of my pair of Buffs I bought at the Fayettivvle,Ar show

Scott
Nice pair of buffs..

How easy is it to tell the sex of an orpington around the age of 12 wks? I have a blue orpington that is growing out and just yesterday I noticed the "saddle" feathers didn't look much like that of a hen. Can anyone tell if this is a pullet or roo?

This was the chick back in September

These are some shots from "above" of the feathers on its back. These were taken yesterday.

They look feminine to me, but I am new to this. Our girls at about the same age for reference. They are both laying hens now. Their combs were very small at 12 weeks.

How easy is it to tell the sex of an orpington around the age of 12 wks? I have a blue orpington that is growing out and just yesterday I noticed the "saddle" feathers didn't look much like that of a hen. Can anyone tell if this is a pullet or roo?

This was the chick back in September

These are some shots from "above" of the feathers on its back. These were taken yesterday.

Pullet, I think.

Back
Top Bottom