Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Oh wow, your hawks sound quite daring! :(

I've never known them to go after dogs (though we're also surrounded by condos besides the street behind us) but I do remember one time I saw one eating a rabbit im our yard. There's tons of prey for them here though so I'm hoping they wouldn't bother going after them but a whole flock of chickens is probably a lot easier than trying to single out a rabbit.

The crows love to chase the hawks around though, it's pretty funny xD

We don't have many predators but we do have a few coyotes around and they're pretty bold. I rarely see them so I think we maybe only have a couple but they do exist. Same for foxes.

We have skunks and raccoons too. Guess I'll have to secure the run.

But oh wow, that sounds like a great idea!!

Quote:
Survival of the fittest. Predators don't lose too often over their prey. I try my best to keep an eye on my babes since I'm home most of the time, but I can't be there 24/7 and I rather just secure them the best I can for my own peace of mind. I still have improvements to do and cosmetic work, but it gets the job done. I'm out in the country in NC, there are more flying creatures I have to worry about than anything (snakes too for going after eggs, but I don't think any of them here go after the chickens though it's possible so I secured everything where the gaps are too small for adult snakes to slip through). I have to worry about neighborhood cats too, but as long as my privacy fence is nicely secured they haven't been getting in (I had a gap they found their way in through, but thankfully my roo alerted me in time).

This is my buff orpington, Abigail Adams.

Here she is as a chick, with her brothers and sisters (no longer with us
hit.gif
) and my BLRW (also gone).

I also have a lavender orpington named Violet. She is 19 weeks old and she's very curious.

This is her as a chick.

This is her 6 days ago.

Last edited:
Survival of the fittest. Predators don't lose too often over their prey. I try my best to keep an eye on my babes since I'm home most of the time, but I can't be there 24/7 and I rather just secure them the best I can for my own peace of mind. I still have improvements to do and cosmetic work, but it gets the job done. I'm out in the country in NC, there are more flying creatures I have to worry about than anything (snakes too for going after eggs, but I don't think any of them here go after the chickens though it's possible so I secured everything where the gaps are too small for adult snakes to slip through). I have to worry about neighborhood cats too, but as long as my privacy fence is nicely secured they haven't been getting in (I had a gap they found their way in through, but thankfully my roo alerted me in time).

Very true. And that makes sense! I'd probably be the same! I never even thought about snakes either! How do you know if the gaps are small enough? We mostly have garter snakes i think but still. I feel like some roos really do a great job protecting the flock. I wish we could have one. :/

Although I was thinking about getting one briefly when I get them to breed and then giving him up but that's probably not worth it. I say giving him up because if he's nice and not mean then I'd probably get attached and I doubt I could cull him.

Btw Autumn Farm, your birds are always gorgeous. :) out of curiosity, do you ever sell them or just breed for yourself?

Back
Top Bottom