Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

They are gorgeous! :) I have chicks coming in the mail on Wednesday, I'll have to post pics of them too. I am getting chocolate & chocolate cuckoo orps, and possibly some mottled bbs ones if there are any extras. I wish I could hatch from my own chickens, but I am not allowed to keep roosters here. Usually when I get one I don't end up keeping him long enough for him to father any chicks. I get tired of having to put him in the garage every night, haha!
Yes, I put mine in the garage every night. Our neighbors say they don't mind, but I honestly don't want to hear crowing every morning. I let the boys out anytime between 8-9am - by then all the neighbors are up & about. I also use no-crow collars. They don't stop but rather muffle the crows. All their other sounds are at full volume. Even so, the roos cannot be heard from more than 4 houses away. The roosters crow when I 1st put them out for about 5-10 min. After that we don't usually hear them. If I do, then I know to run out back & see what's going on. Usually a ruckus over a hawk, new lawnmower, or neighbor doing a home repair. I love my roos mostly for their hen protection. They work very well with each other. The chicks are just an added benefit.

A few pics of my chicks that arrived today! I ended up giving 8 to the bantam orpington hen; hopefully there are not too many for her to keep warm. We are keeping 3 inside for the next few weeks to play with. :)

I ended up with 4 chocolate (3 for sure pullets), 1 chocolate cuckoo, 2 black (I think male), 1 blue mottled, 1 black mottled and 2 jubilee.

A few pics of my chicks that arrived today! I ended up giving 8 to the bantam orpington hen; hopefully there are not too many for her to keep warm. We are keeping 3 inside for the next few weeks to play with. :)

I ended up with 4 chocolate (3 for sure pullets), 1 chocolate cuckoo, 2 black (I think male), 1 blue mottled, 1 black mottled and 2 jubilee.
Congrats on the adorable chicks. Just wondering, how do you know the genders of some. (Is it because hen was black & roo was choc, so sexlink? or something else?)

? for anyone who breeds cuckoos: Does the head spot in cuckoo orps work in a similar way as in Dominiques & some BRs? With those, a small compact head spot with definite lines = females. But a larger, fuzzy-edged, or irreg shaped head spot = males.

Congrats on the adorable chicks. Just wondering, how do you know the genders of some. (Is it because hen was black & roo was choc, so sexlink? or something else?)

? for anyone who breeds cuckoos: Does the head spot in cuckoo orps work in a similar way as in Dominiques & some BRs? With those, a small compact head spot with definite lines = females. But a larger, fuzzy-edged, or irreg shaped head spot = males.

Yes, hen was black & roo was chocolate for those. I am kind of hoping the straight run chocolate chick is a rooster but we'll see. I had a chocolate rooster for a little while & I liked him; he was pretty calm.

I have never done any breeding but I have had a couple of chocolate cuckoo chicks before. They were both female & both had fuzzy, irregular head spots.

Orp girls
1f60d.png

17190630_10206392230724253_8140007360069475784_n.jpg

17191441_10206392230684252_1060817088087898651_n.jpg

1f31e.png

17155870_10206401407793674_6660445700077068722_n.jpg

A few pics of my chicks that arrived today! I ended up giving 8 to the bantam orpington hen; hopefully there are not too many for her to keep warm. We are keeping 3 inside for the next few weeks to play with. :) I ended up with 4 chocolate (3 for sure pullets), 1 chocolate cuckoo, 2 black (I think male), 1 blue mottled, 1 black mottled and 2 jubilee.
Where did you get your chicks from?

Hi everyone. .....sadly, one of my favorite boys is no longer with us and im on the search for an Engligh Blue Orpington rooster (or a Blk split to blue). Im close to Northern VA. Have some lonely girls. :-(

Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom