post your chicken coop pictures here!

Thanks all... Sadly it looks like I will have to put another out of pain... And my husband brought home about $100 worth of wood, mesh wire, nails and such..... As for do I know what got to them... I fear I do... Can't get on to her because I can't say for sure.... Let's just say that my DOG has earned herself a long stay on a strong chain until we get a kennel for her put up...

That is so-o-o sad both for the poor defenseless hens and that your pet canine may be suspected. It's not the first time an owner has lost their flock to a dog invasion. We nearly lost our first flock to a stray German Shepherd and Poodle mutt that broke down our gate to attack our little 4x6 chicken-wire coop - a good neighbor chased them off and saved our chickens since we were not home at the time - the chicken wire was so mangled beyond repair. Another BYC owner had a dog and cat that socialized with the chickens for 7 years and thought all was safe. Then they came home once to find the pet dog AND cat had torn into their very large chicken poultry wire pen and killed the entire flock. It is so painful. Just another reason to use 1/2 inch hardwire instead of easily-torn chicken wire. I am just so sorry for your hens. Every time one of mine is stressed or ill my DH and I both feel their suffering.

For your dog if you have a kennel for it be sure to have a predator proof bottom so s/he can't dig out. Cove Products have K9 Kennels that have the digging protection that can be added to the inside of the kennel to prevent a dog from digging out. It's just an idea.
http://www.k9kennelstore.com/Digging-Prevention-System.html

Cove Products has the following website for their Barn Style Chicken Condo that we are hoping to get this Spring. It comes with the mobile option and predator-proof panels at the base already and easy to assemble. It's pricey but will save us a LOT of building or assembling and our time is worth the money in the end. I like that the pen walls are not flimsy wire but actual kennel-grade wire walls.
http://www.chickencondos.com/index....-x-8-run-w-4-x-4-barn-coop-basic-tractor.html

GL!

I add fine wood ashes to the covered part of the run. The next day you can not find them. They love to dust in them.

Yes, fine wood ash is perfect. My poor DH tossed out charcoal briquette ash into the chicken bath area and I had to have him go scoop it all back up! He didn't realize not all ash is beneficial - poor guy thought he was doing a GOOD thing for his girls!

Not sure if the ramp is too steep - they haven't ventured up it yet but might be because they are too young?

The coop is lovely and your neighbors shouldn't mind being your next-door residents. You were worried about the angle of your ramp. We had to replace an old one that was about the same angle as yours but it had steps spaced 3-inches apart. When we made the new ramp we spaced the steps 4-inches apart and the hens took longer to get accustomed to the new build. I wish we had kept the steps at 3-inches apart since they seem to prefer the closer steps for stability, security, and confidence. Sometimes they fly up our ramp and sometimes they like to languish slowly up to the pop-hole so we wil be making a new one with steps 3 inches apart again.

Thanks for the links.... We are getting a kennel for her and will put a wire floor under the thing.... Better safe than sad again...

I'm thinking of building a 10'x15' run for the birds... How tall?

Last edited:
We moved it into the same location the previous coop was in.

Looks fab! Great job repurposing the unused playhouse.

Depends on who is going in there
wink.png

If it is only for the chickens and you have no need to go in, a couple of feet is plenty unless you want to give them some "day roosts". Then you probably want at least 4'. My girls stay on the ground probably 99% of the day even though they have a "day roost" in front of a south facing window. They are RARELY on it. I know they get up on the work bench in the barn (their indoor run) because stuff gets knocked off but I think they are just killing time before I open the barn door in the morning or when they don't want to be outside like now when it is cold and snowing. There are plenty of people here who have "day roosts", swings and the like in the run that their birds DO use.

BUT, I suspect you will need to go in there at least occasionally so 8' is nice even if you are only 5' tall. Why? It matches the length of standard lumber and you can put a regular door in it.

Thanks for the links.... We are getting a kennel for her and will put a wire floor under the thing.... Better safe than sad again...

Since it is that big (10x15) I would want head room for the times when cleanups are necessary to enter the pen. If you add a roof, make it gabled or slightly sloping for rain run-off. So excited for you on the build!

[COLOR=0000CD]The coop is lovely and your neighbors shouldn't mind being your next-door residents.  You were worried about the angle of your ramp.  We had to replace an old one that was about the same angle as yours but it had steps spaced 3-inches apart.  When we made the new ramp we spaced the steps 4-inches apart and the hens took longer to get accustomed to the new build.  I wish we had kept the steps at 3-inches apart since they seem to prefer the closer steps for stability, security, and confidence.  Sometimes they fly up our ramp and sometimes they like to languish slowly up to the pop-hole so we wil be making a new one with steps 3 inches apart again.[/COLOR]

Thanks for the feedback! I will make more *rungs* for the ramp asap!

Back
Top Bottom