post your chicken coop pictures here!

The Bissell Bungalow. We made it from all scrap :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all the info.
smile.png

The coop was going to be 4x8 with the roosts on one end but then I was thinking that that takes up so much floor space plus now with the extra bird, it's not really big enough anyways, only for 8 with 4 sq. ft. Per bird, which maybe isn't enough anyways, so then I thought about adding a 4x4 section to the end and putting the roosts there so 4x12. That's kind of a weird shape though so I might go 8x8, haven't decided yet. I don't want it to take up too much room though.

But anyways, then the run was 8x12 plus the 4 feet under the coop since it's raised, so 12x12 but I'm thinking of free ranging them too (we have almost 3 acres) if possible. But if I made it 8x8, which I might not do, then the run would obviously be different too but I haven't figured that out yet because I had planned for the other way.

I'll find a place for the windows too
smile.png

Heck, you have 3 acres, who would notice the extra?
wink.png
OK, since you are now planning to go bigger, consider that it is far easier to do stuff in a coop you can walk into. And roosts in a 4x4 space would only be enough for 8 birds if you had two roosts parallel though I suppose you make it U shaped and get a few more in. But then how do you clean it when you need to? The roosts should be 1 foot from the wall and 18" from parallel roosts (so they can't pick on a bird on the other roost). If you did the 8x8 (which you can decide REALLY should be 8x12 (chicken math you know), you could get ~16' of roost on adjoining walls. They will use the foot of roost that is "beyond" the intersection. My birds seem to prefer to have their side against a wall or another chicken. You can put the door and nest boxes on the other walls and hang a feeder in the middle. It will be even more open if you make external nest boxes.

You are wise to think on it. I find I ALWAYS think of things I want to do differently if I ponder on a project for some time. Better than "just doing it" and later wishing I had thought about it from different "angles".

Heck, you have 3 acres, who would notice the extra? ;)  OK, since you are now planning to go bigger, consider that it is far easier to do stuff in a coop you can walk into.  And roosts in a 4x4 space would only be enough for 8 birds if you had two roosts parallel though I suppose you make it U shaped and get a few more in. But then how do you clean it when you need to? The roosts should be 1 foot from the wall and 18" from parallel roosts (so they can't pick on a bird on the other roost). If you did the 8x8 (which you can decide REALLY should be 8x12 (chicken math you know), you could get ~16' of roost on adjoining walls. They will use the foot of roost that is "beyond" the intersection. My birds seem to prefer to have their side against a wall or another chicken. You can put the door and nest boxes on the other walls and hang a feeder in the middle. It will be even more open if you make external nest boxes.

You are wise to think on it. I find I ALWAYS think of things I want to do differently if I ponder on a project for some time. Better than "just doing it" and later wishing I had thought about it from different "angles".

True :p and well I was thinking of having it raised off the ground and originally I didn't want it too big because I was worried it would be considered a shed, which I think would need a permit technically (though we're set in the woods, no one bugs us lol. Unless the neighbors do). I was thinking also with it raised and stuff, I could just rake the floor every day or empty it once a week (depending on if I use sand or pine shavings) and I was also going to use a droppings board so that part would be pretty easy but I suppose you're probably right about cleaning the roosts and rest of it. And for the roosts I hadn't realized it needed to be so spaced out and had originally thought of just using a ladder until you mentioned them wanting to be the same height. But oh yeah, I was definitely planning on external nesting boxes, easier egg collecting anyways. :)

But aw thank you! I've definitely done a lot of thinking and had a lot.of time to think because I've wanted them for years haha we actually came up with a plan way back in like January or February because I was going to get them that spring (2015) but I never did and now finally am. I came up with a slightly new plan though, with the attachment, and redesigned the run. Originally we were gonna use a dog kennel and had it going straight out then a triangle at the top since it would be wider than the door (6 feet, coop and run is 8) but then I realized that would stick out like 22 feet and just take up a huge area plus I'd have to cover the kennel anyways cause chain link is too big so then I realized it looks much better and is actually more space if I flip it sideways haha

I think you might need a permit for any one, just different ones for under a certain size, but I don't think a raised chicken coop counts and even if it did, no one comes over here haha

Back
Top Bottom