post your chicken coop pictures here!

We live in a small town on a corner lot so we don't have a ton of space to work with, but we ended up building a 10x10 with 6 oversized nesting boxes. We have been working on our first coop for a few months now in our spare time. We had no set plans or designs I just took from many different pictures that inspired. Hope you enjoy
1f60a.png
we are rather proud of it! (Coop is about 95% complete as of this post)

Looks great! I hope you can resist chicken math and not add too many birds, they become an addiction! Just curious but do you have a latch on the nesting box lid? Raccoons are smart! Also what type of fencing did you use?

@cabinchicky thank you! We already have plans to add to it if need be but I'm looking to only have 8.lol we don't have any chickens at the moment so the latches are included in the 5% we like being complete
1f44d-1f3fd.png
we used a mixture of chicken wire and hardware mesh
1f60a.png

@cabinchicky thank you! We already have plans to add to it if need be but I'm looking to only have 8.lol we don't have any chickens at the moment so the latches are included in the 5% we like being complete
1f44d-1f3fd.png
we used a mixture of chicken wire and hardware mesh
1f60a.png

It looks great! Good job building it! 10x10 is a nice size to secure them in when needed. Will they free range during the day?

Can't tell from the pic, and maybe yo have this, but make sure to add the 1/2 inch hardware mesh from the base up partway, perhaps to the cross piece. So many awful stories of raccoons and other creature reaching through or busting the chicken wire and killing chickens.
Not sure how you have secured underneath, but you could opt to scrape away a few inches of soil around the base, and fan the 1/2 inch hardware cloth out ~24 inches (like an apron), secure with 12" garden staples, and recover with soil and gravel.
I use snap locks on my doors/nest boxes, with carabiners through them.

You should be quite proud of yourselves.
big_smile.png

We live in a small town on a corner lot so we don't have a ton of space to work with, but we ended up building a 10x10 with 6 oversized nesting boxes. We have been working on our first coop for a few months now in our spare time. We had no set plans or designs I just took from many different pictures that inspired. Hope you enjoy
1f60a.png

First, Greetings from the front range in Colorado
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
! If this is your first time as a chicken owner, you've come to the right place for all sorts of good and valuable information! This site covers about any thing you might want to know (& a whole lot you never even wanted to know!
hide.gif
) Hope you stay for a while and share your experiences! Really nice looking coop!

Not trying to scare you, but make you aware... I have to echo what others have said. I see lots of trees and no yard fence, so you may have to contend with stray dogs (worse than most wildlife actually) as well as raccoons, foxes, possums, and all manner of animals who love fresh chicken dinners. Chicken wire is ONLY good for keeping chickens (or rabbits) in or out of something... it is completely useless as protection from animals wanting to eat your chickens (or rabbits). I highly recommend you cover the bottom 3' with 1/2 inch hardware cloth (it is actually heavier gauge than 1/4" and nothing can reach through it), and either surround the coop with pavers or apron out something like welded wire fencing to prevent diggers. A mink or weasel only needs a hole about 3-4" to squeeze through and can kill an entire flock in one night.

best of luck to you moving forward!

Ok now I'm embraced lol. You guys have beautiful coops. I livery in buras Louisiana and it doesn't get that cold for them and they only roost in the coop at night.
[/IMG][/IMG] the chickens and duck's free range all day and the quail, pheasants, and rabbits stay in the lean to all the time

1f60a.png
Very nice. you probably won't need 10 nesting boxes, may want to block half of them off and use it for storage
wink.png
Looks great! How exciting!

Back
Top Bottom