post your chicken coop pictures here!

Well, here's my coop. It's pretty big (the building is 6.5 x 8 and the run(s) are 12 x 15 and 8 x 5.5). We bought some supplies (the roof and some supports), but the doors and wood for the walls and nesting boxes were recycled. I actually picked up three truckloads of wood from a neighbor down the road who was taking down their fence. :) I'm building another that's about 8 x 8 with a dresser for the housing. Don't have any pictures yet though. That'll wait a week or so - hopefully it'll be done by then.

The window (below) folds up in the winter. I just put it down last week for extra circulation.

Inside :)

I would have a roost, but my silkies prefer to dog pile! I gave them the option for a while and then took it out, lol.

There's the extra brooder box here, \/ in the back, made out of recycled materials (partially from building my papa's house... and a fridge rack, lol)

Lastly, I want to share a quick picture of the majority of my adult (to adult-ish) chickens eating watermelon! :) Aren't they cute??
Great job. But a quick note about the chicken wire. It is not predator protection, at all. It's great at keeping chickens in, but most predators will be through it in just a few minutes.

Quote:
shes back home..... thank goodness it was a TIA or mini stroke they usually clear up in 24 hours... She is 99 next month she will be100, and has been very independant untill this last three months. She still gets up every morning does her face makes her bed gets dressed and comes out to rule over us all .....
gig.gif
I dont let her in the kitchen any more except to get her ice for her water... She spends her day either listening to romance novels on tape from the braille institute... Oh my poor virgen ears....
lau.gif
Or talking on the phone with varius cousins Or watching wheel of fortune Judge Judy and Jeopardy.... and you cant forget Lets make a deal and the price is right. Or the news..... and during baseball season she fusses till we can find what channel its on.

Modern television equipment Has become more and more of a challenge to her over the years.

SOOOOooo glad to have her home. With a few adjustments to her blood pressure meds....

deb

thanks.... technically its a 35 mile drive...  but at freeway speeds of 20-30 mph....  cant even take the flipping carpool lane with out a Fast track pass....   add to the fact that I WILL miss the turn off and adventure into no mans land till I find the street I need.  (insert head slamming into steering wheel image here)

her stroke resolved itself in the ER but they decided to put her up for the night for observation....  unfortunately her hospital which is Kaiser couldnt even take her in the er... so she started out with a hospital out of their plan.   Then they had to ship her to a hospital that has a contract for overflow....   And They didnt tell US..  It took mom an hour to find out where they shipped her off to.....  Top it off I need to make a trip to my house which is the total opposite driection to leave money for the farrier....  sigh I am going to have to cancel...

Lets move this convo to old folks I am sure its way off topic for here.

deb

I hope she is ok my gram has been in the hostpital also they set in the ER for three hours before they could take her and then she was there 6 days and they didn't come back with her blood work until the day she was discharged. And then when they got into a room my other gram was there in the ER also for depression with the loss of her son and his girlfriend. And ontop of that she has found out that she is diabetic. So they took her drivers license for 6 months because she couldn't get her sugar under control so she kept fainting the one time they told her if there wasn't any one home she would have been dead. But I hope you grandma is ok.

shes back home.....  thank goodness it was a TIA or mini stroke  they usually clear up in 24 hours...   She is 99 next month she will be100, and has been very independant untill this last three months.   She still gets up every morning does her face makes her bed gets dressed and comes out to rule over us all .....  :gig    I dont let her in the kitchen any more except to get her ice for her water...  She spends her day either listening to romance novels on tape from the braille institute...  Oh my poor virgen ears.... :lau   Or talking on the phone with varius cousins  Or watching wheel of fortune Judge Judy and Jeopardy....  and you cant forget Lets make a deal and the price is right.     Or the news.....  and during baseball season she fusses till we can find what channel its on.

Modern television equipment Has become more and more of a challenge to her over the years.

SOOOOooo glad to have her home.  With a few adjustments to her blood pressure meds....

deb

Glad she is home! Oh my she sounds like a wonderful lady! She keeps you on your toes for sure. Good for her to be so busy. You are so lucky. I miss my Gran so much. She was somewhat a fireball too,but yours sounds adorable! Hope we can be like her when we grow that age.

Great job. But a quick note about the chicken wire. It is not predator protection, at all. It's great at keeping chickens in, but most predators will be through it in just a few minutes. 

Ah, shucks. -_- Thank you for telling me! Funny, I've never had a problem. The animals have only tried to dig! But I'll save up to get... Something. I want my babies safe. Would something with bigger holes work over the chicken wire...? Maybe something that didn't go up all the way/only a safe feet tall?

shes back home.....  thank goodness it was a TIA or mini stroke  they usually clear up in 24 hours...   She is 99 next month she will be100, and has been very independant untill this last three months.   She still gets up every morning does her face makes her bed gets dressed and comes out to rule over us all .....  :gig    I dont let her in the kitchen any more except to get her ice for her water...  She spends her day either listening to romance novels on tape from the braille institute...  Oh my poor virgen ears.... :lau   Or talking on the phone with varius cousins  Or watching wheel of fortune Judge Judy and Jeopardy....  and you cant forget Lets make a deal and the price is right.     Or the news.....  and during baseball season she fusses till we can find what channel its on.

SOOOOooo glad to have her home.  With a few adjustments to her blood pressure meds....

deb

Ya I am glad she is home my gram doesn't wake up til 10 or later and doesn't go to bed til 12 or later and then once it hits 12 she gets out her orange crush and mixes up her drinks I forget what they are called but she mixes them with orange crush she says her drinks help her sleep. She watches family Feud, wheel of fortune, and jeopardy. The one show is all reruns but she watches it everyday. And she won't quit smoking she was down to one a day and was doing good, but then she started smoking her normal again and then she was back into the hospital with spot on her lungs. So they told her she needs to quit or those spot can turn into so thing. So to help my aunt took her cigaret and maker and tobacco she makes her own since it supposedly saves her money. But she hasn't had a cigaret science the day she left for the hostpital so that's over a week.

Ah, shucks. -_- Thank you for telling me! Funny, I've never had a problem. The animals have only tried to dig! But I'll save up to get... Something. I want my babies safe. Would something with bigger holes work over the chicken wire...? Maybe something that didn't go up all the way/only a safe feet tall?
Welded wire fencing layered over the chicken wire in the run should help. For extra strength and digging protection, you should wrap the bottom 2 feet of the run with hardware cloth and skirt it out by about 2 feet. And use hardware cloth on any openings in the coop.

Welded wire fencing layered over the chicken wire in the run should help. For extra strength and digging protection, you should wrap the bottom 2 feet of the run with hardware cloth and skirt it out by about 2 feet.  And use hardware cloth on any openings in the coop.

X2! Also you can add soil, rocks, brick whatever over the skirting. To help keep it down. We use soil and large field stones then plants between rocks to keep the mower out of it. Plus the plants are used just for the flocks.

I've seen people do that. As for digging critters, skirt some hardware cloth down and out about 2' along the bottom. If you can't dig deep skirt out and put flat paver stones over it.

Back
Top Bottom