post your chicken coop pictures here!

I have 4 nipples for 21 birds and they are fine they all take there turn at the waterer and when they are eating few of me leave the feeder go get a drink and then they go back to eat and then the others go to the waterer and then they are watered up and then through out the day they all go to get a drink when they need to.

I have 5 horizontal nipples and 5 vertical nipples and they use them all. Sometimes there are 10 or more trying to drink. My thought was to put 5 more on the back side of the pipe with blocks underneath for the smaller birds and plug the vertical nipple holes to reduce leakage and mess on the floor.

How long of a pvc pipe run do you have your nipples installed in?  Nothing really wrong with having an abundance of nipples installed but I'd definitely have a clean-out on the ends.  A long run of pipe might be a little difficult to flush without pressurized water.  Water towards the end of the pipe might tend to get stagnant/stale.

Ed

The drink station is 4 feet, the horizomtal pipe is 9 feet with 5 feet of vertical. It has a plug at the end, outside the wall where it drains on the ground. Ive been designing stuff for 60 years so i thought of all that as well. All pipe is 4 inch pvc and holds nearly 8 gallons. They drink about 3 gallons per day.

I think the station is adequate for my flock but wirh some nipples on the back of the pipe they will have more room and less reason to fuss. The project is about reducing leakage to keep the floor cleaner.

For those of you with a large hen house and separate run area do you feed & water in the hen house and run area with separate feed & water setups? I am still working on the hen house but I haven't got much done to take pictures.

Happy 4th and have a blessed day!!

Thanks Mike

I feed and water in both. In my case I have a very diverse flock of mixed ages. With a nipple waterer inside and out, and two separate feeders, I am less worried someone will be kept from eating or drinking. My coop is 8x12, the run is 20x10, and I have 15 birds. I don't feel the small amount of space taken up by additional feeders makes a big difference. Ymmv

I feed and water in both. In my case I have a very diverse flock of mixed ages. With a nipple waterer inside and out, and two separate feeders, I am less worried someone will be kept from eating or drinking. My coop is 8x12, the run is 20x10, and I have 15 birds. I don't feel the small amount of space taken up by additional feeders makes a big difference. Ymmv
Have you got any pictures of your coop? I'm planning on an 8x12 and love looking at peoples designs. :)

Ed

Have you got any pictures of your coop?  I'm planning on an 8x12 and love looking at peoples designs. :)

Ed

Here are some pictures from early on. It is just a well built shed that I bought from a local company. We divided it for storage, added nesting boxes, roosts, an extra window, and a pop door. Since I am not handy and didn't want to burden my husband it was the best solution.

Last edited:
Water inside and out.... food inside and out.

though If I go to fermented feed I will feed only inside.

then I in the run want to use a game feeder for periodic treats during the day... Boss, a little scratch some catfish chow.

deb

mixedflocker, pre-built on that scale is good! Have you cut out the pop door yet? Ventilation? I wish I could find a used shed locally. I bought a 10x16 from my MIL a few years ago but my wife commandeered it for...storage. :)

Ed

Last edited:
mixedflocker, pre-built on that scale is good!  Have you cut out the pop door yet?  Ventilation?  I wish I could find a used shed locally.  I bought a 10x16 from my MIL a few years ago but my wife commandeered it for...storage. :)

Ed

Yep. It is all finished and lived in. I just need to get some newer pics uploaded.

I'm not sure if my ventilation is sufficient. Listening to ya'll has made me wonder. It's not built tight, small gaps and cracks from lap siding. A seven inch window high and the sliding door that I don't shut at night. They'd be hard pressed to get frost bite here in the mountains of NC. The coop area is small 3x3x3, an additional 3x1 nesting box on the side, with a pitched roof. My concern is whether or not it's safe to leave the door into the coop open at night in the 20°'sF? solely because of draft?

Last edited:
mixedflocker, pre-built on that scale is good!  Have you cut out the pop door yet?  Ventilation?  I wish I could find a used shed locally.  I bought a 10x16 from my MIL a few years ago but my wife commandeered it for...storage. :)

Ed

If I get a shed like that I am setting it up on sinder blocks we have a shed that's I think 12x20 prebuilt from mountain road structures it was originally built as one of there garages but we liked the size so we took the plan of that and had it custom built as a shed without the garage doors. And a loft for edition all storage.
Yep. It is all finished and lived in. I just need to get some newer pics uploaded.

It's very nice I would get one of those also but I don't have that kind of money because wih my local structure place is mountain road structures and it's about 5 minutes from my house and the smallest coop they sell with is a 4x4 and it I think was 500 something. And I was just going to get a shed but the size of shed I want is Well over 1-2 thousand I would have to check again. But here is a link of there website they have some really nice stuff new and used.

http://mountainroadstructures.com/home/3601653

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom